Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Nano Cubes....Are they worth it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeDee
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)18:50    Post subject: Nano Cubes....Are they worth it? Reply with quote

I was going to use my 15 gallon to create a SW tank, but my LFS has a sale on 12 gallon Nano Cubes. They are still close to $200, and I was just wondering if they are indeed worth their price or should I stick to what I have?

Thanks
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on your experience... the smaller the tank, the easier for the water chemistry to change... I.e. it's more difficult... but if you can keep it, they're really cool tanks... Smile
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my nano cube! only problems I came across were mainly that I had to build my own lighting(I am in aus now nano lighting not common) with 2 amphiprion occellaris I have had algae problems in my 7.5g cube. then I really wish I didn't introduce macro aglae its not that bad but it takes up space where I would prefer to have coral.

as a begginer I would recomend if you did setup a tank that small keep the bio load really small to make it easier to control excess nutrients and nitrates ect.

andrew
2 winged demons
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll put the black hat on here and say...
Micro SW tanks are a bad idea and always were.
Size does matter! Do your self a favor, get a minumum 30 gallon for your display and use the 15 for a quarantine system. You should be able to get a 30 gallon for the 200.00 budget if you purchase all accessories, filter etc. online you will save a bundle.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my nano but a larger tank would be way easier. nanos are quite the challenge. I have been fighting cyano and just won the battle but one of my zoanthus colonys isn't too happy so I am trying to bring it back to life and soonish if it dosen't get any happier I will be fragging off the healthiest bit of it in the hope of saving some of it.

one of the reasons I like my nano is because its a smaller tank lighting is cheaper. if you are going with a fish only or a fish only with live rock go for a 30 gallon tank.

andrew
2 winged demons
DeeDee
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually in Canada and find it a bit harder to get things. Ordering online cost HUGE because of the exchange rate and shipping. I only have 2 LFS near and only one with marine supplies. I priced out a 30g tank and it would be about $300+ as I would have to buy some sort of stand. Also cost more to fill with sand, live rock and fish. I only want two ocellaris clowns. Space is also an issue.

I am quite experienced in fish keeping and I am quite confident that I can control all the water specs, I know it could be hard and I respect that, but I am OK with testing water every day and doing everything to make this a success. I think I will stick with my 15g. Just wondering if Nano's are all up to what they are cracked up to be.
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

For canadian online stuff, I've found www.jlaquatics.com and www.saltwaterconnection.com to be very reasonably priced. Saltwater connection is local to me, but I know that the Jayson does a lot of mail order.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy from JL aquatics. they are amazing. I used to live in vancouver and I went to their shop its beautiful. full of healthy fish corals clams shrimp sea slugs and lots of equitment and tons of GOOD advice.

andrew
2 winged demons
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nano Cubes are very convenient. The reason why people buy them is because the filter and the hood are customized to the right proportion and everything looks integrated I.e.the hood matches. Personally, if you know what equipment you need, then it would probably be more cost efficient to buy everything separate. But they aren't bad. Some will even come with wet/dry trickle filters and decent lighting. If you do choose one, Just make sure the lighting on them is sufficient, because you won't be able to replace it afterwards. One more thing to consider is that most nanocubes are acrylic, so factor that in to the pricing.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add my nano cube isn't one of those all inbuilt ones. its a 12" cube tank with a prism skimmer on it and DIY lighting to accomadate my corals.

though I have to say they do look good but the lighting capability is 0 for the majority of them. I have however seen 1 decent low light coral nano reef using a small jebo built in system.

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: