Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Surfice Disturbance and Tide Mimicing...
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)11:21    Post subject: Surfice Disturbance and Tide Mimicing... Reply with quote

If this belongs in the equipment section, please feel free to move it...

My question is... (now that my wife will except the initial cost of a salt-water tank, and I don't have to "settle" for a cichlid tank... Smile )

would it be a good idea to try and mimic the effects of tides in your salt-water aquarium? I realize that currents have an effect on water flow in the ocean reefs, but would it be beneifical to the tank and fish if each side had powerheads that alternate every six hrs? Or is it just as well to set up the powerheads to run at different times in any logical direction?

Also, how much surface disturbance is necessary for areation in the tank? Should a powerhead be roiling the waters 24/7?

And finally, is the following a decent set up for a 70 gallon tank?

70 gallon drilled tank w/ overflow
Wet/Dry filter (roughly 500 gph? Mag pump)
protein skimmer
1 wpg, 10,000k dual w/ Actinic
1 inch pool filter/argonite mix sub
lots of rock (live?)

Stocking:
1 damsel (yellow tail? or perhaps 2-3 chromis?)
2 oc. clowns
1 wrasse (suggestions? something that stays fairly small and isn't too aggressive? 6 line?)
1 Regal Tang (or 1 coral beauty, NOT both)
1 Gobie (orange spotted?)
1 Cleaner Shrimp
5-10 Turbo Snails
5 Hermit crabs

Is that over-stocked for a 70 gallon? I plan on doing 20-25% water changes every 2 weeks...

I'd like to cycle the tank w/ bio-spira and the damsel and 2 clowns, good idea?

If I decided to go w/ the tang, I'd wait 6months minimum for algae to build up, also, will those guys eat blanched lettuce, spinach, cucumber?

I appreciate your input!
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, thatsalotaquestions!
1. More water movement is usually better than not enough. 24/7 is OK.
2. I would question the pool filter substrate (?)
3. Stocking looks good, cycle with the damsel, not the clowns. Forget the spira products and add some sand or gravel from a healthy system; drop it in a nylon stocking and place it on top of your trickle tower media and you will likely never have an ammonia rise, but leave it alone for a month to make sure. Add a couple of live rocks at this time also.
4. Don't use the skimmer for 90 days or so.
5. Avoid terrestrial greens for tangs; try Nori algae, Sprungs Sea Veggies, etc.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2005.03.29(Tue)21:17; edited 1 time in total
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a lot of questions... Embarassed

so some live rock is a good idea? even w/ my lighting... also will 1.020 be fine for that tank... and I shouldn't use the pool filter sand? I've seen were others have used it in fresh water (including myself... Smile ) w/ no problems... I had planned on mixing it w/ some argonite sand...

anyway, your input is mucho appreciated! thanks!
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.021-23 is good, not sure what pool filter sand is, silica?
stick w/aragonite based material.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

FB,

Are there lighting requirements for Live Rock? Will I need to "feed" via dosing iodine, calcium, etc?

again, thanks for the help!

also, should I just ask the lfs for an old piece of filter or to exchange some bioballs w/ me?
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you ask a very good question here; since you are doing a fish tank with moderate to heavy bioload, your live rock is more of a benefit to your fish than the base of your reef (it's not as important) HOWEVER, the live rock is only alive because of the encrusting inverts on it, and YES they will starve over time.
That's why a lot of LR declines in home systems... like most other invert life it simply starves. The various filter feeders including tunicates, bivalves, fan worms etc., etc will feed constantly in nature from a veritable living soup of planktonic microorganisms that make up seawater. That's why even in many so-called reef systems, the LR gradually turns into nothing more than a home for various purple/red/green encrusting algae forms. You can indeed use additives to increase the coralines and decrease the nutrient/phosphate base to starve the micro algaes that compete with them. You can even (as Straughan taught us years ago) drop the rock into a bucket of live brine/suspended protein mix periodically to really FEED those inverts, if feeding a pet rock is your thing. HOWEVER, LR in a robust fish population will STILL decline in my experience simply due to the fact that it's being picked at constantly by the fish in a confined enviro! (duh). BTW, when I say FISH, I'm talking about REAL fish here, like the Emperors, Blue Faces, feisty Tangs and big, nasty invert-chomping Tusk Wrasses and Triggers, not those wimpy little gobies and ocellaris the reef crowd lkes to maintain (jesting just jesting folks) Another approach is to set up a large sump for a refugium (good idea) where you can rotate the live rock every few weeks, giving it a chance to revitalize and feed, then moving it back to the display to benefit the various angels/tangs you may be keeping. It's kind of like a rotating buffet. You can add more rock in the refugium as time goes on, building a population of pods and other organisms which will eventually make it to your display and benefit your fish as live food supreme. If you have an ich outbreak, move the LR from the fish tank to the sump. Then disconnect the sump and treat the display with copper. (you heard me garlic lovers, I said copper) When the ich is dead (say 30 days later) you can run a PolyFilter to remove the copper and re-connect the fuge. Remember I am not describing a reef set up here; only a practical method to reap the benefits of live rock long term in a robust fish system. BTW/ part of that fuge can be devoted to a macro algae filter, but that's another subject and I'm getting reply fatigue.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2005.03.31(Thu)17:32; edited 1 time in total
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again fb, I appreciate your input!
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Stocking looks good, cycle with the damsel, not the clowns.

how about cycle with a dead prawn? no cruelty involved and cheap. plus damsels tend to be hyper agro(not including the chromis). I cycled with damels and I regret it. simply go to the local supermarket and buy a couple prawns dump them in and let nature take its course.

andrew
2 winged demons
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back and read what I wrote, my friend.
As I said, add some sand or gravel from a healthy system; drop it in a nylon stocking and place it on top of your trickle tower media and as long as you proceed slowly you will likely never have an ammonia rise. You are basically creating an instant bio filter with a thriving nitrobacter colony. Guess I am a cruel guy, cause I always test my tanks with a damsel (toxin testing) before you get a nice show-quality tusk wrasse or clown trigger it's a real good idea and a dead shrimp won't tell you if you have a chunck of metal in your rock or some other unseen problem like a mantis shrimp assassin.

Last edited by FloridaBoy on 2005.03.31(Thu)20:00; edited 1 time in total
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently cycling with a damsel and that badboy must be going through hell. It lost a little color and I read it was because of high amonia levels. I did a water change so she hopefully will get better. I was reading today at the bookstore that damsel are hardy fish and can take a lot. I was told clownfish are a little more sensitive..

Rob
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: