Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Question about tapwater quality
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewurm
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)20:53    Post subject: Question about tapwater quality Reply with quote

I am considering starting a saltwater tank. I have two tropical tanks that are doing quite well. My tapwater has a pH of approx 8.1 It is very hard and has high buffering capacity. This presented early problems with tropical fish but sounds optimum for saltwater. Thoughts?
fishboysv
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with tap water is that it contains impurities, like phosphates, silicates, nitrates and metals. These can cause problems in marine tanks when the effect would be minimal in a fresh water set-up. Most folks use de-ionized water or reverse-osmosis water, then build up the salt/alkalinity/pH/trace element parameters to the desired levels.
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are setting up a fish only or FOWL tap water should be fine. You only need to use RO water in a reef tank. Still if you are using live rock you should call your local water company to find out if there is copper in your water. It could kill the pods on your live rock. Using RO water can get expensive so if you don't have to I wouldn't use it. If you are doing a reef tank the high lighting will turn all the impurities in your tap water into an algae farm.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are both excellent replies, you people don't need me anymore!
pH is not a problem, in fact most salt mixes include buffers that will adjust this for you automatically so no worries. RO water is a great investment esp. for reef systems, but for a basic set up most tap water is fine; you can remove many impurities with a PolyFilter pad and/or phosphate sponge in a power filter or cannister when you mix new batches of water, just hook it up to your mixing receptacle for 48-72 hours while the heater is doing it's thing, bingo. Go for it, and set up a QT (quarantine tank) while you're at it! Repeat the QT mantra, QT QT QT QT Q... OK I'm done now.
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive I read in the instasalt mix that the mix has a buffer to make the water at the corrected pH..

Rob
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: