Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some Fish Room Shots I - New World
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoName - Well, I've only had these guys a month. They're a bit shy still. Full grown when they grabbed them out of Peru, so I can't say anything about grwoth speed.

2La - What angle is that? Razz Usually you're THE man on fish ID, but I don't see any hoignei in this fish. I'm flipping back through Romer and reading the description again and it's still not a fit for me. The dorsal fin doesn't have the same shape as the full grown males in Romer. None of the males have ever displayed the "distinctly lyrate caudal fin that has a red/black or black/red inferior and superior fringer." The coloration (I know it's not a good way to ID apistos) have never matched, either.
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, from the angle of the picture (three-quarters head-on) it has the characteristic red and irridescent blue lines extending from the corner and top of the lip to the eye, and that's really all I can see--but again there's nothing that screams to me that it can't be this species. Both finnage and coloration are often age-dependent, so if these aren't grizzly old males, they still could turn into the fish that Romer describes.

Here are some images of fish that exhibit similar characteristics (or lack thereof). Again, without the benefit of a side profile in good lighting, I can only go with the angle provided in that shot.

http://www.israquarium.co.il/Fish/Apistogramma/Apistogramma%20hoignei.html
http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=167&Itemid=44

We can probably throw out the idea that it's a close relative of borellii since that fish rather stands in a complex of its own. What other species are you thinking of?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish in the picture was actually an old male that had fathered over 5 batches of fry and was pushing 2 years old. I'm on my third generation of these apistos, now.

Neither of the pictures you linked looks like the fish in question (of course, I'd already run across them myself when researching this and discussing them with others.)

I don't have a guess as to what the fish is. I just know I've yet to see a good match which is why I'm sending pairs out this summer (possibly trading for some actual hoignei.) I'll let you know the results. The other very likely possibility is obviously a hybrid of some sort.

I know it's not a good picture. I wasn't looking for ID help when I posted it (although I do appreciate your trying.) There's not nearly enough photographic information to get a decent ID. Maybe I'll get lucky in the fish room and snap a decent picture to show you.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: