Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some Fish Room Shots I - New World
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)8:10    Post subject: Some Fish Room Shots I - New World Reply with quote

I'll apologize in advance for the blurriness of most of these shots. I'm working with a new camera and I haven't mastered it with the up-close fish shots. The fry clouds were very hard since the camera didn't know what to focus on. Razz

Here's a pair of wild angels I recently acquired from an importer. The photo doesn't do a good job showing how huge they are...that breeding slate they're in front of is at least 2" wide. These are huge fish.

Bah...I didn't resize this image quite right, so I'll give it as a link. It's of some young checkerboard cichlids I'm growing out for breeding purposes:

http://www.aquahobby.com/Cyradia/checkers.JPG

Next...a few shots from the apisto rack. First, this is a blurry shot of my Apistogramma bitaeniata female. The first batch this pair had was very tiny (only raised a small handful of fry.) I didn't even know she'd laid eggs and yesterday when I was working on another tank I was like, 'what in the heck kind of crap is that spread ALL over the floor of their tank?' Sure enough...fry...and LOTS of them (all that blurry white flecks in front of her.) The male is absolutely stunning, but he's proved very problematic to photograph, so I'll have to keep trying on him.

Her nextdoor neighbor, the apistogramma atahaulpa (sunset apisto) has a nice cloud of fry herself.

Next we'll go to the substrate dwellers. I just never get tired of looking at families of bristlenose plecos. I gave in and gave them their very own planted 55 gallon tank. It's probably the only tank I own that's actually made me money.

Here's a shot of a variety of sizes and colors chomping down on a brocolli stem. This breeding group is throwing long finned albinos, standard albinos, and standard regulars (brown.)

Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow your a.bitaeniata looks great! Whats your aspisto breeding tanks setup like?
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...it's one whole wall in my fish room. It's a homemade rack made of 2x4s (lots of extra support tricks.) The top row has five 20 gallons and one 15 gallon. The second row has slots for seven 10 gallon tanks (although one slot is empty because of a bad crack while I was learning to plumb.) All of these tanks are drilled in the back and they drain into a 35 gallon sump. The sump has TONS of media in it and a big pond filter that shoots the water back up and into all of the tanks. IE...a central filtration system.

The current inhabitants are:

Row 1:
15g - 8 growing out Golden Dwarf Cichlids (Nannacara anomala)
20g - "extra" apistos...either ones I'm holding in case a breeder dies or proves infertile or old ones that lost their mate
20g - 8 growing out Dwarf Flag Cichlid (Laetacara curviceps)
20g - 4 growing out Black Acaras (Aequidens portalegrensis)
20g - 12 checkerboard cichlids (Dicrossus filamentosus) & 6 rubbernose plecos
20g - 2 unIDed tilapia, 2 nicargua cichlids, 1 huge male tilapia snyderae (first 4 are grow-out)

Row 2:
10g - Breeding pair of Apistogramma macmasteri
10g - empty - waiting to be used as growout
10g - Breeding pair of Apistogramma incas with tons of sub-adults waiting to sale
10g - Breeding pair of Apistogramma bitaeniata
10g - Father Apistogramma atahaulpa with sub-adults
10g - Mother Apistogramma atahaulpa with newest generation of fry (split for optimal fry rearing after she laid her second batch)

NOTE: This is a HEAVILY stocked set-up. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time in maintenance. It's working for me because I do huge water changes on it...at least 50% weekly and usually much more. There is a lot of water turn over and it's heavily filtered as well as many fast growing live plants to help soak up nutrience.

I have one other type of apisto not in the rack but just a stand alone 20L heavily planted. It was sold to me mislabeled as Hongei and it is certainly not that. I'm going to try to ship them to some apisto experts this summer to get a good ID. I think they're probably related to borelli. Here's a picture of a male:

Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool fish! It looks like you've mastered the camera fine to me... but I have a really crappy camera so I can't take good pics anyway Confused Everyone's pictures look good to me, lol.
How many tanks do you have in your fish room? If my husband liked fish a bit more I'd convert the basement, but for now I have to settle for my 55g and three 10g and trying to talk him into a 30g so I can try cichlids. Maybe if I promise to get him a little catfish or something...
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destany wrote:
Cool fish! It looks like you've mastered the camera fine to me... but I have a really crappy camera so I can't take good pics anyway Confused Everyone's pictures look good to me, lol.
How many tanks do you have in your fish room? If my husband liked fish a bit more I'd convert the basement, but for now I have to settle for my 55g and three 10g and trying to talk him into a 30g so I can try cichlids. Maybe if I promise to get him a little catfish or something...

That's an excellent question, but one I've never had the guts to really count up and answer Embarassed Let me see if I can count them all off the top of my head for some grand tallies!

Wall 1:
The apisto rack described above has 12 tanks and 175 gallons (not including the sump)
Also on that wall:
55 gallon - breeding groups of mbunas
10 gallon - native darters

Wall 2:
20L - Kribs and Endlers
30 - Wild Angelfish
30 - Synodontis petricola grow-out
30 - Empty but running...waiting for leleupi grow-out
10 - red zebra mbuna grow out
20L - unIded apistos
10 - I forgot another apisto! Borelli grow-out, I sold parents

Wall 3:
55 - Mixed African (Leleupi, comps, intermedius, a few eureka peacocks, big livebearers from Mexico)
33L - Breeding group Copadichromis azureus (same footprint as 55)
20 - Grow-out tilapia snyderae
20 - Tatia reticulatus - still won't breed for me!

Wall 4:
55 - frontosa grow-out
55 - L-134s (a pleco type, white and black striped...very pretty) - still won't breed for me!
75 - angelfish grow-out (also has a school of pristilla x-ray tetras and a group of madagascar rainbow fish)

Spilled Out of the fishroom into other parts of my basement: Embarassed
55 - bristlenose pleco breeding
10 - cherry shrimp
10 - oto breeding
55 - white labs and fryeri
10 - leleupi grow-out
10 - heavily planted for grow-out - currently 8 young white calvus

Upstairs in the real part of the house:
29 - brackish puffer tank

So, that's um:
35 running tanks with 880 gallons of water

Sitting empty in my basement for explansion purposes are:

120 - Building a stand for it and it will be my upstairs planted show tank. Will have angelfish I'm not working with to breed, that school of pristilla x-ray tetras, and the madagascar rainbows.

125 - Going to be the frontosa home!

75 - more room for some of the mbuna groups I'm working with

several 20Ls and 10s to be used as more grow-out
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
35 running tanks with 880 gallons of water

WOW! That's a lot of water.

In that picture of the pleco fry, is that more eggs on the fork?

I'm always amazed by the pictures you post. The fry a so little and cute. Your one of the few breeders that post here. Please keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, thanks Irons.

No, those aren't eggs. The plecos lay eggs inside caves...ideally long cylindrical caves like grooves in driftwood. The eggs are huge and golden in color...about the color of a chicken egg's yolk.

Those are actually just pores in the degrading brocolli stem, but I get how the picture kind of makes them look like eggs.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking @ the picuture again. It's another fish!! =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of an angel person-but that pair of angelfish is very nice! Very high bodied. Smile I've heard wilds are more tricky/grow slower than our domesticated strain. Whats your experience so far? Also with all these fry you are probably hatching lots of BBS. I still haven't figured out an easy way to seperate the the floating shells from the nauplii themselves(dunno how much it mattes as I remove them during water changes but I doubt any fish would be stupid enough to eat them).

Also, what kind of darters you keeping?
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Apistogramma hoignei from this angle, Cyradia. What makes you say it can't be this species?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: