Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
15 Gallon Saltwater tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeDee
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)23:59    Post subject: 15 Gallon Saltwater tank Reply with quote

Hey all,

New here and just had some questions about saltwater tanks. I have sucessfully kept many tanks over the years and would now like to move onto a small saltwater tank. I know bigger is better, but room and the fact that my fancy golds have the 50 gallon tank a 15 gallon will have to do for now.

I have been reading the different articles here and have a few questions about things that I am confused on.

First what I already have:
15 gallon tank
HOB filter
heater
basic flourescent hood

What I would like in the tank:
2 Ocellaris clowns
live rock
live sand
I am not interested in coral and do not have lighting requirements

Now for the questions:
1. Do I need a protein skimmer? Can I get one to attach to my HOB filter?
2. How much live sand?
3. How much live rock? Do I need more lighting for live rock?
4. Any other words of advice?

I am going to buy the Complete Marine Aquarium and read up and I am sure I will be back with many more questions.

I know how to fishless cycle an aquarium just so you all know.

Anyways I think that is all for now! Thanks for now,

DeeDee
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I would like in the tank:
2 Ocellaris clowns
live rock
live sand
I am not interested in coral and do not have lighting requirements

the stocking plan is *not* bad, your plan is FOWLR right? I guess with 15 gallons, you do not need to worry about territory and aggression issues with the clowns. lighting in FOWLR tanks is slightly higher than FO tanks, as you still need 2wpg, its only when you reach reef tanks you need 4wpg.

Quote:
Now for the questions:
1. Do I need a protein skimmer? Can I get one to attach to my HOB filter?
2. How much live sand?
3. How much live rock? Do I need more lighting for live rock?
4. Any other words of advice?

1. you do not need a protein skimmer, but it is preferred as it means less work for you in the long run (in balancing water changes etc)
2. live sand should be measured same as gravel, so 15 pounds, although there are new techniques out there with more. note: you can just use regular sand, when you purchase live rock, the organisms etc will move itself into the sand to make it become live sand, so do not need to purchase live sand.
3.15 pounds of live rock, same with your gallon capacity. you need at least 2wpg for the live rock.
4. um...your plan is pretty good already, maybe consider a algae eating fish as well? maybe just one more fish will do, turbo snails and invertabraes help, also cleaner shrimp, and a bicolour blenny.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mame... very intelligent well thought out answer. I would like to add a few pieces of experience to what you said here.

As to the number of lbs of live rock. This is a pretty silly topic actually. Live Rock from different parts of the world will have a different density. For example, 2 rocks of identical size, 1 from Fuji and 1 from the Florida coast, will have very very different weight. don't' worry so much about lbs per gallon, but instead create a visually appealing display of live rock, however much that might be for your tastes.

I also think 15 lbs of sand may be a bit much, only because the dimensions of your aquarium have the same surface to cover as a 10 gallon. I would suggest 10 lbs. 15 will be fine if you like the appearance, but just not necessary to establish a nice filter bed.

Your HOB filter will work just fine, although you will want to clean your filter pad very frequently. A dirty filter pad will quickly cause algae growth. I like to clean mine every day. It only takes a minute to do and will keep the overall appearance of the tank looking much nicer.

You will have no light requirements whatsoever unless you decide to keep photosynthetic animals. Live rock itself does not require upgraded light levels (sorry Mame). However, you will get much prettier algae growth and some interesting growth on your live rock if you upgrade your lighting as Mame suggests.

Finally, I can't believe I am going to say this.... FloridaBoy may fall out of his chair when he reads this coming from me.... but I personally would not bother spending the money on a protein skimmer for the setup you are suggesting. Instead, I would replace the activated carbon in your HOB filter every 2 weeks. This will be less expensive, give you similar benefits, and all you need for the aquarium YOU DESCRIBED. If you were to pick different fish selections or add any invertebretes, then I would sugget you add a skimmer.

You have picked a very easy very basic starting tank! I wish you all the best.

Mark
DeeDee
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your replies. Gives me a lot more confidence in starting this up. I am sure as I go along I will have MANY questions and will be back often. Any more info or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
DeeDee
DeeDee
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Would you suggest a Penguin Filter with bio wheel or a Aquaclear? I have both and was just wondering which would be the better choice.

As for sand is aragonite the best bet? I want to be able to siphon, so something with some weight.

Think that is about it for now...

DeeDee
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to use live rock in your aquarium, then I would suggest not using any bio filter at all. The live rock will filter your aquarium. You could use the Penguin without the biowheel, or the Aquaclear, for mechanical particulate filtration.

If you will not have live rock, then I am a huge fan of the Penguin Biowheels. As to the biological filtration ability of an AquaClear in saltwater, I am not a big fan. When used as a biofilter, the AquaClear can result in more phosphate buildup and increased algae growth.
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Penguin, avoid anything with a sponge aka Nitrate Factory. Be sure and rinse the bio-wheels off lightly in water change water...it helps keep the inevitable buildup of bacteria from getting too thick and coming off in the water, which is unsightly, but will cause no harm.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use an aquaclear. penguins seem like complete rubish. I saw some in one of the ruddier pet shops in melb and the wheels weren't even turning any more. I vote aquaclear b/c you can choose what filtration material you use.

Quote:
I second the Penguin, avoid anything with a sponge aka Nitrate Factory.

also the penguin is a bio filter and a sponge is mechanical filtration. so sponge good bio wheel bad. The sponge might provide an area for bacteria to live but it also removes debris.
2 winged demons
DeeDee
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be having live rock, so the filter will be mechanical only.

As for substrate in the filter, should I be putting in carbon every two weeks? If I go with the Aquaclear should I still be putting in a sponge even if I am using the rocks as my boilogical filtration??

Thanks
Dee
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wishing you good luck on your salt water tank and I hope that works out great!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: