Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New tank, moving fish from an established tank to a new tank
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)15:54    Post subject: New tank, moving fish from an established tank to a new tank Reply with quote

I've been up and running for a couple of months now, and didn't read up enough on tanks. Currently running a 30g bowfront, and wish I'd gone with a bigger non bowfront tank, but oh well, I've learned my lesson.

My new tank should be ready to pick up monday or tuesday. It's a 36Lx16Hx18W, with 3/8" glass and black silicone Very Happy.

I have about 15lbs of live rock that I will be moving from the old tank to the new one, and 30lbs of aragonite. I plan on adding 30lbs more aragonite, and another 20 or so pounds of live rock. That will make up for some of water, but I'll still be about 10-12g short of filling the new tank.

What is the easiest way to make up for this? I was planning on doing a water change(5g) and throwing that water in the new tank with the aragonite to help clear it up while running one of my extra aquaclear filters to filter the fine dust out of it, then adding the rest of the water and sand on top of it.

The water I use is RO/DI, and will mix for at least a day with a powerhead to help dissolve the salt completly and oxygenate the water.

Am I on the right track for this to minimize the stress on the inhabitants of my tank and move everything over?
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on the right track. make sure and rinse the new aragonite very very well as this will minimize clouding. You will still see a could storm if you add the existing sand to a new tank.

I just did this very thing over the course of the last week. It isn't easy, isn't fun but very well worth it. It is a pain to transfer inhabitants and arrange rock in a coudy environment. My solution was to have two other tanks set up to house the current inhabitants. One 20 gallon held the fish and corals, which was filled with the existing tank water. The other tank was actually my sump that I put all my live rock in. A took the existing sand out and put it in the new tank, filled it with the remaining existing tank water and balanced it with newly mixed R/O D/I water. The cloudiness was minimal, and what there was a couple of spare whispers with filter floss took care of.

Today with clear water I placed my rock, hooked up a temporary 10 gallon sump and transferred the fish and corals over. The water in the sump is being kept warm and aerated and will be used in a few days for a water change, as it is still in good shape. My hopes in doing it this way was to reduce die off and the Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates that will follow. If any is detected, water change with sump water.

Good luck and post some pictures.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: