Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
multipunctatus + misc fishie pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)15:21    Post subject: multipunctatus + misc fishie pics Reply with quote

Its 5 incher, living with 2 kribs and 3 upside down catfish in a 20 gallon. this is pretty much the stocking level of this tank, as won't be adding anymore. it is full of personality and would eat flakes from my hand at surface of the water.

x

x

x

some other misc fish that I have:

x

chinese hillstream loach

x

blue crawfish, gets up to 4.5 inches, it has already attained this limit.
living by itself in a 10g.

Last edited by mame on 2005.04.10(Sun)18:12; edited 2 times in total
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)15:24    Post subject: part 2 Reply with quote

x

my prize angel, it ate all my ghost shrimp in my 20g high

Last edited by mame on 2005.04.10(Sun)18:13; edited 2 times in total
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very interesting fish you have...!
Beautiful cray fish...looks delicious. Hehe kidding.
What do you feed the guy?
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyL wrote:
Some very interesting fish you have...!
Beautiful cray fish...looks delicious. Hehe kidding.
What do you feed the guy?

yes, I was thinking of eating it as well, cook it in the oven with a smothering of mozza cheese all over... Shocked ahem*, I meant, its my favorutie pet with a lot of personality. it sometimes sleeps on it side inside the cave, and I sometimes afraid it's dead. I knock on the glass sometimes and it gets back up though....very strange sleeping habit.

mostly feeding the lobster sinking hikari algae wafers and carnivore pellets....unfortunately....it ate my male krib.... after 2 days of noticing it was gone...I think it ate it. then I moved it to its own tank.

x

last pic of my fav fish!

Last edited by mame on 2005.04.10(Sun)18:13; edited 1 time in total
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's a true Multipunctatus - he looks awfully dark bodied to me...Compare the Gallery picture to him Confused In fact, looking at the bottom picture he looks like a Featherfin Syno (Synodontis eupterus)
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mogwai, that is not a Syno Multipunctatus. But it is also not a Synodontis eupterus either. There is a string possiblity that it is a hybrid. There is an article on www.planetcatfish.com, regarding hybrid synodontis, and the article mentions that some hybrid have a slight hump in their back, this one looks to have a slight hump in it's back, just before the dorsal fin. However I don't think it's anything to worry about, the fish looks in very good health, I love synos anyway. There seem to be a lot of synos which are hybrids which closely resemble Multipunctatus, this maybe because the species breeds more readily than other synodontis species, it may have hybridized with another synodontis. That my theory anyway. Very Happy
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have two hybrid multipunctatus as well Evil or Very Mad One of my 3 looks exactly like all the web photos of Multis - the other two (from a different LFS) are golder and since that link was posted to the Syno Hybrids article I think I have hybrids, which is annoying as I wanted them to breed!
I am waiting to get a photo and confirmation that they are likely hybrids then I am going to return them to the LFS and get a further two from the original LFS. If I wasn't wanting to breed them I would keep them as they are pretty fish but I object to having paid for MultiPs and but been sold hybrids.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a multi, which turned out to be a hybrid too. The true multipunctatus has a very white belly, the one I had didn't, and the spots weren't as large as the previous multis I've had. Sadly after reading the article I think the new Flavitaeniatus I bought 2 weeks ago is a hybrid, as it has a hump before the dorsal fin. I don't mind, as I'm not breeding any fish, and it will receive the same care as any fish I keep, however the annoying thing about hybrid fishes such as synos and some african cichlids, is that they are passed off as other fish, and sold at high prices, so I know how you feel Mogwai. My Flavitaeniatus cost nearly
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogwai wrote:
I don't think that's a true Multipunctatus - he looks awfully dark bodied to me...Compare the Gallery picture to him Confused In fact, looking at the bottom picture he looks like a Featherfin Syno (Synodontis eupterus)

if it is eupterus, then that would be terrible news..... it would grow up to 10 inches and I would have to sell him or give him away...

Syno wrote:
I agree with Mogwai, that is not a Syno Multipunctatus. But it is also not a Synodontis eupterus either. There is a string possiblity that it is a hybrid. There is an article on www.planetcatfish.com, regarding hybrid synodontis, and the article mentions that some hybrid have a slight hump in their back, this one looks to have a slight hump in it's back, just before the dorsal fin. However I don't think it's anything to worry about, the fish looks in very good health, I love synos anyway. There seem to be a lot of synos which are hybrids which closely resemble Multipunctatus, this maybe because the species breeds more readily than other synodontis species, it may have hybridized with another synodontis. That my theory anyway. Very Happy

yes, I don't mind if it is hybrid also, but if it would grow larger than its present size (5~ inches) I cannot keep in in the 20 gallon. but yes, it is strange that the tailfin markings are so different from the pictures I have found from internet of multipunctatus, and the spot markings as well, the spots on my syno seems smaller and less congested on the head compared to some 'real(?)' multipunctatus?
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! have you ever tried feeder the guy feeder goldfish?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: