Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
The Ultimate Recipe For Disaster
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)9:48    Post subject: The Ultimate Recipe For Disaster Reply with quote

Well if you've been reading my posts on the Cichlids board, you'll know I'm looking into keeping some malawis in a 55g which I hope to get soon. So while I was sifting through the 'your tanks' section on cichlid-forum to get some ideas I was shocked to come accross this post titled 'aggressive tank', so er, take at look at this 55 gallon stocking -

2 red devils (Amphilophus labiatus) Mad
1 midas (Amphilophus citrinellus) Mad
3 jaguars (nandopsis managuensis) Mad
3 blackbelts (Cichlasoma Maculicauda)
1 wolf (Nandopsis dovii) (YES that does say Dovii!) Shocked Shocked Shocked
1 peacock bass (Cichla ocellaris) Exclamation
1 green terror (Aequidens rivulatus )
1 jack dempsey (Cichlasoma octofasciatum)
1 pleco (common)
1 catfish (some synodontis)

This is not joke, this is somebody's tank -

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/displaytank.php?style=1&tank=4237

A recipe for disaster I'm sure.
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is just a holding tank for the fish right now while they are small. They will be put in a 400 gallon when they get bigger(for obvious reasons).

I think that more aquariums should have slate rocks in them. They are a good rock to put in. It cut up a 12 inch jaguar once when it was running away from a midas, but for smaller fish it is fine.

well, as a grow out tank, recipe for disaster = no....but I'm sort of worried about the synodontis....
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry mame I don't agree. Have your read the notes on Wolf Cichlids from the gallery? Dovii are killers, no matter what size they are, I know there used to be one in the fish shop I worked at, it was only 6" and it killed quite a few fish. I wouldn't even chance putting any of those fish together in that tank for one week, let alone with a Dovii, which by the why grows to 28-30" long and are predators, period. A Dovii and the Peacock Bass are probably the only fish you could have in the 400 gallon anyway, their massive adult size, and vicious nature would put the well being of tankmates in serious jeopardy.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not unusual at all to have a mixture of cichlids like that. Keeping more than one of the same species in a tank can be just as risky eg two RD's. Community cichlid tanks can go for years with no problems at all, all that is needed is a good aware fishkeeper and plenty of feeding!
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked even in a 400 gallon tank that is a lot of mean fish!
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a dovii at my lfs yesterday and man was he HUGE!!! So were his teeth that looked really sharp LOL
mame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.29(Tue)23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syno wrote:
I'm sorry mame I don't agree. Have your read the notes on Wolf Cichlids from the gallery? Dovii are killers, no matter what size they are, I know there used to be one in the fish shop I worked at, it was only 6" and it killed quite a few fish. I wouldn't even chance putting any of those fish together in that tank for one week, let alone with a Dovii, which by the why grows to 28-30" long and are predators, period. A Dovii and the Peacock Bass are probably the only fish you could have in the 400 gallon anyway, their massive adult size, and vicious nature would put the well being of tankmates in serious jeopardy.

hmmm....I think I was wrong then, I didn't take into account the behaviours of the fish, I don't really know much, so I hope I didn't appear too ignorant.. Razz
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no offence to people who maybe thought otherwise, but this setup simply will not work and is bordering on being barbaric. If you put a fish in a tank that is narrower than his body is long, it cannot properly turn around and it will be miserable and it will become stunted and deformed. That said, a 55 gallon is 12 inches wide, and of those fish every single one except for MAYBE the synodontis will grow too big. To put them all in the tank together, is just cruel.

I can see the argument that maybe it's a grow out tank, but look at those stocking numbers for a second, that tank won't work when the fish get past 3 inches so it's not much of a space for fish to growout.

That's just terrible
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't believe the number of submissions I get like that for the greater cichlid species in the Gallery section. It's disgusting, and worse yet, the owners usually want to convince the reader that their fish get along "fine", they don't see why everyone says these fish can't be with other fish or in a tank like that, and then proceed to describe how cool fish A is because he holds his own against fish B and how fish C rules the tank but is only half the size of fish D and yada yada yada.

Of course they almost never bother to mention the actual size of the fish and how long they've had them in this "fine" setup. In the rare cases they do, they're inevitably talking about tiny juvenile cichlids they've been keeping for like 2 months tops, which is pretty much equivalent of an alien coming to earth and then reporting back to his home planet all he knows about the human species based on a week's observation of rug rats in a nursery school Rolling Eyes

No need to say these submissions are rejected very quickly, in fact I've become exceedingly efficient at rejecting them without even needing to read past the first line or so:

hi I got to of thes there cool there inmy 30gal. wit a demsley a servum two jagurs and *CLICK*...deleted Cool
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should send an email to all of those people who want to add a comment like that. Include: 1. this board is about proper fish keeping 2. this is not a place to share how much fun it is to watch your fish beat the living c**p out of eachother.

caurse that would cause a lot of angry emails to be sent back marcos's way. maybe a informative one where you or the board dosen't place any "blame" but informs the person that sadly the fish are being treated poorly even inviting them to join the board and learn would be good(and of course kick them out if they don't change their ways. sadly however fish are always going to be treated badly by the morons who plauge the earth best thing we can do is inform them.

my 2 cents
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: