Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ID a turtle
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating creature....I only wish I could help, since I have never seen this species before!

But some general info overall; yes, the turtle will need a basking area out of the water, and will need UVB light, which usually comes in flourescent light tubes. These lights run out of "spark" every six months, so they must be replaced. A turtle without UVB light, or directs sunlight, will develop metabolic bone disease. Not a good thing at all.

No clue about the size this guy can get, but turtles no matter the size are extremely high waste producers. Get ready for near daily water changes! What size tank is the turtle in, and other inhabitants?

A shot in the dark, but most turtles are omnivores, so this one may take chunks out of fish as well as fruits! I have no clue about the diet....let me get back to you after I've asked some guys at my work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into this. Because yes, they are marvelous creatures and I'm taking quite a fancy to them.

They are kept in a tank that is approx four by two by one and half I don't think space is a problem at the moment. However, they are kept with fishes (gold fishes, sharks). wondering if they are compatible. They don't seem to be bothering the fishes.

Would really appreciate some info, cause if they don't grow too large then I might think of taking up a pair.
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: