Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ID a turtle
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)13:43    Post subject: ID a turtle Reply with quote

I don't have a picture, but need some help.

The main identifying feature is that the turtle has a horn or spike on its back and is green in color.

Need to id this because at my work place they have a tank which is about two feet high. As far as I think the turtle in it, which is a recent addition, needs some land mass so that it can rest and breathe. Two feet of water is not good, though I may be wrong.

which is why the question.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a native species to india? How large is the turtle? I'm going to shoot this id to a friend of mine who is a turtle reabilitation expert and he may have some idea or my previous boss who is a founder of the Texas Turtle and Tortoise Society.

That is unless Taratron can't ID it first. Smile Do you know if it's a land or sea turtle?
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not know for for sure, but I guess it would be a local to India. Have seen the same type around here often. Let me know if I should look for any special markings which would help in identifying it.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the feet have toes or do they look more like flippers? Does it only have one spine or are there more ?
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippers no toes, just went and checked. Nails protrudung outfrom the ends.
Plums
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a strange sounding turtle. Whereabouts on the shell is this spike? Is there just one spike?

I can think of a few that have a series of spikes in a line along the spine and some have spikes all the way around the edge of the shell. Not one spike though.

There are some "tent turtles" in India with shells that go to a sort of notch like this little fellow - http://www.chelonia.org/DSC00468kachugatecta.JPG.
Perhaps you could descibe it a bit more - soft shell/hard shell, head shape, flat-bodied like a pancake or more round like a tortoise?
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its exactly like that one or may be the same one. Well the spike is in the same position as the small hump on the one in the picture but more pronounced. The feet are exactly the same.

I guess thats the same one.
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its not quite the same one. But the website helped me id it. Its the Circled Indian tent turtle.

Thanks Huntress and Plums. check out the response time for a query to be resolved. Really appreciate it.

(Still need help on locating some material with regards to care for this particular species)

Last edited by Herbert on 2005.03.25(Fri)16:50; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Plums
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Very Happy Well not bad for a wild stab in the dark!

At least it's a fresh water species which is a good start.

As for care I'm not sure. I've only ever kept red-eared turtles. Giving it somewhere to climb out of the water, like a piece of wood, sounds like a very good plan to me. It's probably not a fully aquatic species, but I don't know this. A heat source, such as a filament light bulb of a suitable wattage, over the wood to give it a place to bask may also be appreciated.

Other people here, like Taratron, can give you better advice on this.
Plums
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely unrelated, but looking around the internet I came across this strange beast.

Check out the head.

Horned Turtle Shocked

Sadly it's extinct, as I would have loved to see one of those in the flesh.
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: