Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
some questions[interested in starting sw]
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redfierydragon
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)22:56    Post subject: some questions[interested in starting sw] Reply with quote

usually when your researching about fish they tell you its water requirements I.e.
72-78F sg 1.020-1.025 pH 8.1-8.4 dKH 8-12

what is sg and how is it maintained?
what is dKH and how is it mainted?
what is a good pH adjuster that most sw aquarists use?
fishboysv
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

sg is "specific gravity" and is a measure of the salt content of the water. It is measured with an hydrometer and maintained with salt mixes you get at the fish store and fresh-water additions to replace evaporation loss.
dKH is carbonate hardness and is measured with test kit reageants and managed with water changes and additives.
I'm finding pH difficult to adjust with additives without serious effects on dKH. Most advice I get on the subject recommends no adjustment as long as the pH remains above 7.8, 8.2 being the optimum usually quoted.
I recomend much research before investing any $$$ in a sw project.
redfierydragon
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would I get my pH up to 8.2 then? I brought my water to my lfs and they said my water was pretty much neutral and I don't use additives. how would I go about making my pH higher without disturbing the dKH
fishboysv
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on your carbonate hardness. If your dKH is low, say 8 degrees or less, it would not be hard to bring your pH up into the 8 to 8.2 range. I use a product called Kent Marine pH Buffer. My pH was at 7.9 with a dKH of 9 to 10 degrees. After treatment, the values were pH 8.2 and dKH 13-14 degrees. That dKH level is at the top of the recommended range, so I have to be careful when I add not to push the dKH too much higher. I'm pretty new to this marine stuff. You can find a lot of info. on the web about water chemistry, equipment, and technique for marine aquaria. I researched for 6 months before I even began talking to my fish store guys.
fishboysv
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, forgot to mention that I've never heard of a way to raise pH without raising hardness. if any one replys with a method, I'll be very glad for the info. too! Rolling Eyes
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: