Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Recommendations for Haps/Peacock Setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)10:56    Post subject: Recommendations for Haps/Peacock Setup Reply with quote

Hi. It's me again.

After I had a bad time keeping Malawi Mbuna, I came to the conclusion that Malawi Cichlids weren't for me. But after thinking about it, I thought, I was being a bit hasty, as Mbuna aren't the only Malawis out there. So I would be looking into keeping some Haps or Peacocks in the near future. I believe from what I've read that most species aren't as aggressive as mbuna, and don't require a ton of rockwork either, but will need a large amount of swimming space. I've still got all my kit for setting up a Malawi tank, it would just be a case of buying a tank and choosing the right fishes to keep. The tank would be 48" long 55 gallon tank, with a Fluval 4 filter and a 200w heater. I just want to know what species of Haps or Peacocks would I be able to keep. I would probably have some Syno Petricola in the same tank as a clean up crew.

Any (sensible) advice, or recommendations are welcomed.

Cheers. Very Happy

(note - I'm not looking into breeding any of fish though)
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not interested in breeding, you might want to go with an all-male show tank. Some people like to say that this just means one pretty male and a bunch of sub-par males but I don't think the people who say that have kept such a tank long-term, or seen a mature one. They can be frankly stunning, you can keep a variety of species and varieties without worrying about hybrids, people often have extra males cheap (because they want a high female to male ratio), you don't have to deal with the drab females, breeding, excess fry, or any of the other hassles of a mix tank - basically, it works very well.

Any chance of a 75 over a 55, though? The extra width means a lot more species would be suitable.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Molly.

I was going to go for a 55 gallon because I still live at home, and my Mum has expressed clearly that the biggest tank I can have is a 55, so I have to work with that I'm afraid. I just want to have a nice looking Cichlid tank, I don't really mind if that limits me on what fish I can keep. So it's basically whatever you can recommend for a tank that size.
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, no worries on that. There are still lots of beautiful fish that would work.I'll PM you with contact information of someone who really knows what he's talking about with all-male show tanks.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I've just been doing plenty of reading on cichlid-forum, and cichlidrecipe, and I just wanted to know if the species listed below are the type of cichlids I'm okay to keep in a 55 gallon.

Copadichromis azureus
Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwanee Reef)
Otopharynx lithobates
Placidochromis electra
Any Aulonocara species (no jacobfriebergi)

According to the cookie cutter guide on cichlid forum, I should have no more than 9 cichlids from those groups in a 55 gallon. I don't think I'll keep that many, given that all these fish will be male. Also on that point it mentioned about providing a sandy substrate for the Peacocks, last time when I had the mbunas I used crushed coral generally to help keep the water hard. So shall I go with this again or use something else? Smile
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Syno...that has the potential to be an awesome tank.

I'd use sand instead of crushed coral. The haps love to dig, but possibly less so if there aren't any ladies around to impress. Ideally you can find some buffering sand (South Down is a good brand that you might be able to find in your local hardware store,) but if not you can always use inert sand and then added some of the crushed coral to your filter chamber to harden the water.

Another problem you might have is finding these fish. In my experience males showing color in LFS are ridiculously high priced....very often $45-$80. A better way to get them (although it takes a little time) is growing out groups of juveniles which you can get for very cheap and giving away all but the first full colored male. Of course, 5 species X groups of 6 is way too many fish for a 55 gallon. I'd recommend looking on aquabid and such and finding some people like me who are really into growing themselves out breeding groups. When I take a group of haps/peacocks I'm looking for a young group of about 8...and I"m hoping in the end to get 1M and about 4F. I'm always looking for people to buy those extra males. If you're in the states I can try to suggest someone who might be able to help you out, but that will most certainly mean mail ordering them.

Lastly, I think 5 is a good number. Healthy adult males of the species you're listing get BIG. I can't really imagine a 55 gallon with 9 of them. I have a 55 with a breeding group of azureus and the lone male always looks a little on the tight side to me.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I live in the UK, but theres a good shop near Manchester city centre I can go to get some, I got the mbunas I had from there, and if my memory serves me right, I'm pretty sure they had some haps/peacocks too. I agree I thought nine was too many, and 4 or 5 was more my suitable.

Also what is the best foods for Haps? I currently have Tetra Doromin, I don't know if thats suitable.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably benefit from looking into some color enhancing foods for those guys...since what you want is that knock-out color to come out.

I've tried lots of high end foods and I've not found anything better than New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets as a staple on my peacocks and haps. They love them and their health shows through in their color. I will say that when I went off of New Life to some cheaper pellet food the fish's color suffered.

Finding a food high in spirulina to supplement in occassionally should help the blues come out in the fish that are primarily blue. Finding foods high in astaxanthin will help with any red highlights the fish have.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Nutrafin spirulina foods in pellet and flake form, so I should be okay. I've just been looking over Cichlid-Forum, and I've decided that I would probably pick any five from the list below, depending on the availability.

Aulonocara baenschi
Aulonocara koningsi
Aulonocara masoni
Aulonocara saulosi
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiloelo)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chilumba)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiwindi)
Copadichromis azureus
Copadichromis trewavasae
Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbawe)
Placidochromis electra

As you can gather I like blue coloured fish! Smile What do you think of those fish?
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget they're meat eaters, and their staple diet should be high in protein. I only suggested the spirulina as a supplement to bring out the blue color.

I think your candidate list looks good. I especially like the idea of Aulonocara baenschi and copadichromis azureus together...striking combo. I'm not familiar with keeping a deep hap like Placidochromis electra, but I'm guessing they're not too different than the others.

I definitely want pictures when you have it all together. In fact, one of my goals for this weekend is to snap some new pictures of some of mine...so maybe I'll get some up for you. Smile
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: