Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Humour warnings
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)23:08    Post subject: Humour warnings Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
Recently I've noticed that some posts with "humour" in them have been misunderestood, sometimes with tragic consequences (I myself, have been a party to just such a post).
As a public service I've decided to try and resolve this dillemna by creating a "Humour warning" that can be attached to posts.
Here are my choices so far:

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation WARNING! HUMOUR ALERT Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
The following post contains Humour and may not be
suitable for serious minded fish lovers.
Caution is advised.

or:

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation WARNING! HUMOUROUS CONTENT DETECTED Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
The following themes have been detected in this post:
Levity, Frivolity, Lightheartedness, Silliness and/or High jinx.
This could affect all or a portion of the text and may cause
browsers to loosen their grip.
Readers are advised.

What do you think? Too much, too little? (coffee for me I mean Wink )
I want to put a rush on this thing; The last thing we want is to cause inadvertent laughter.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean, its a shame it has to be like that sometimes. But its not like that all the time!
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that even if something is clearly perceived as an attempt at humor it can still be equally perceived as offensive, and humor itself can be perceived as inappropriate in some situations (there are jokes I will tell my wife that I will not tell my boss, etc).

We need to keep in mind that this is a VERY general, international and multi-cultural board, frequented by people from 8 to 80 years of age and of all types of upbringings. So on one side all participants need to have a certain level of tolerance and try not to be too quick to take offense as if someone was saying it directly to your face and in your house, and on the other side people need to keep in mind that their general behavior should not be gauged by that fact that they're sitting at home dressed in underwear and looking at a computer screen, but rather in a huge ballroom at the United Nations participating in the first International Fishkeeper's Conference in Geneva Wink

IMO, if a certain attempt at humour here would really demand warnings such as the ones you're proposing then it would be better left unposted in the first place...
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marco's,
Your response to my post directly demonstrates the very point I was lightheartedly trying to make. Take a pill buddy!
My fish related posts, if you bother to scroll through my profile (discounting an initial over the top with bumble bee a long time ago), always begin with a pleasant salutation, an offer of helpful comments based on my personal experience, don't jump to aggressive flaming rips without gaining a complete sense of the situation and end with a heartfelt Good luck (which, by the way, is a lot more than can be said for some of the so called moderators).
Congratulations, you've managed to piss off a pretty tolerant person, who only wanted to participate in a hobby he enjoys and to share his experience with others. It's your web site and I respect that, I guess I can only go somewhere else where my comments are appreciated.
By the way, why did you move this post from the aqua chat forum? The description clearly states it is a forum for HUMOUR!!!
Oh... only your kind of humour Wink
Good luck!
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

*chuckle* aparently you aren't as tolerant as you say since you got pissed off so easily.

Also, any comment about the site in general belong here in the sites issues forum and that's why it was moved here. It would be a good idea to take into consideration that your type of humor isn't someone elses. Which means what you might find amusing may not amuse someone else. Does that make you a better person? No. Just different and have a different way of looking at things. Since this is a board of many cultures there are abviously bound to be some people who don't find your humor amusing. Sorry.

Last but not least, you have absolutely no idea how someone is going to interpret your "online tone" copnsidering the written word leaves a whole lot to the imagination. Something totally innocuous could be seen as angry and hostile.

*shrug* Last time I checked this site belongs to Marcos and he really didn't have to give you an explanation of why things are the way they are, but he did and still you spurn his extremely polite response to you.

Congratulations, you just proved to everyone how closed minded you really are. Smile
kilted
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been visiting this site for a few weeks now, in that time I have picked up some good information, I have also been accused of being an ignorant bigot by the site owner, today one of the moderators, huntress, called me a jackass and accused me of harassing her and inferred that something bad would happen to me if I sent her another private message. I had originally sent a message to her to try and suggest that she might find it more productive to spend more of her time trying to help people and less of her time being belligerent and boosting her ego by accosting posters on this site whenever she disagreed with them or at least saw a chance to make herself look more important. By the way, don't use the word "honey" around huntress, cause she obviously can't take a joke and seems to think that that particular word is highly offensive, if she ever eats at a restaurant in the Southeast US she will probably loose her appetite from being "insulted" by the waitress over and over again.

So it would seem that we shouldn't use humor at all because we might offend someone, somewhere with anything that we say, and even if we don't offend anyone huntress will come along and tell us how stupid we are. This could be a really great site, there are some really good people here, but somehow a complete jerk has managed to become a moderator and the owner of the site is so quick to jump on anything or anyone he thinks might be possibly offensive that he himself becomes offensive.

Lighten up Marcus, and huntress, get a life.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilted and dale:

You two have obviously been around Aquahobby long enough to know the people behind the screen names and avatars. Enjoy your time spent elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAOPIMP Marcos, when did you call this guy an ignorant bigot?????

Last time I checked, in the Southeast, Southwest, South, North and virtually all over the USA, waitresses do use honey as a friendly term of endearment. You were using it in a totally different manner, which was offensive, sexist and rude.

I'm glad you brought this out in the open though so people can see that you are the antagonist here and not I. Half the insults you slung my way were nothing that I would ever say to anyone I know well much less someone I've never even met before. It's amazing the crap that people feel they can throw at you because they think they are oh so hidden by the so called anonymity of the internet. At least I don't go around slandering total strangers because I have too much time on my hands.

*shakes her head and goes out to "get a life"*
kilted
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron wrote:
kilted and dale:

You two have obviously been around Aquahobby long enough to know the people behind the screen names and avatars. Enjoy your time spent elsewhere.

Nope, I have only been on Aquahobby for a few weeks, which is apparently long enough to be called a bigot, prejudiced, and disdainful by the owner of the site (by the way, I apologized if my post in that discussion had offended anyone but never received an apology from Marcus) and to be accosted by huntress because I disagreed with her claims of being able to read a snake's mind. Apparently it is just fine to post an opinion on this site as long as it doesn't vary from huntress' opinion, if you do make such a mistake and then have the audacity to defend and back up your opinion, well count on all hell breaking loose and having your statements twisted to suit her. By the way, I have no plans on going anywhere as I have no reason to leave. I have done nothing wrong and will continue to come to this site, post when I have information to share, and post when I am treated in an inappropriate way. It is only by bringing these issues up that there is any hope of changing things. Leaving would accomplish nothing.
kilted
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:
It's amazing the crap that people feel they can throw at you because they think they are oh so hidden by the so called anonymity of the internet.

Why yes, it is quite amazing, isn't it?
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: