Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help Needed---Smoking Indoors
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)18:08    Post subject: Help Needed---Smoking Indoors Reply with quote

First things off, I'm not a smoker. I'm actually allergic to cigarrette smoke, have been since I was a kid. But for the past four years, my mom has been lighting up, and it's easy enough for her to mention that the constant sneezing is because of the weather changing.

So it comes to this. My mom and stepdad never used to smoke in the house. They smoked outside. But sometime last year one of them got the idea that smoking inside was a good idea. After all, in the backyard we have hunting dogs, Mike's dogs, that he rarely takes out anymore, so four drooling large dogs run all over the humans outside. So smoke INSIDE and keep your clothes dry!

I asked them to please NOT smoke by the animals. Problem is that we have cages in every room, ball pythons, Brazilian rainbows, the works. And one of our balls, Silke, has been wheezing ever since they started smoking inside. But it was summer last year when they started, and I figured, hey, a few months can't hurt.

They still light up indoors. When I asked them about this, over the winter break, the reply was that it was too cold to smoke outside, just as in the summer and spring, it's too hot to smoke outside. And now March 2005, I'm noticing a pattern in the snakes that are housed in the main rooms that are smoked in; they're going off feed more than once a month, which is common for ball pythons, but not my sand boas.

When I told my mom this, she pretty much shoots me down. Her arguments are that the animals are fine, since they are not blowing bubbles or showing severe respitory infections. It's her house, not mine. She's not going to be told by a 20-something year old what to do, especially about something the 20-something year old has no personal experience with.

So. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure secondhand smoke isn't good for animals overall...but it's just a thought of mine with no real evidence to back it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just a thought. Second hand smoke is bad for humans so why in the world wouldn't it be bad for animals? Especially reptiles whose resperatory systems are so delicate. If you'd like I can talk to the vet I worked for and ask him. I think he actually wrote an article on smoking and reptiles. If so, I'll hunt it down as well. The reason why they aren't showing bubbles is because they aren't having resperatory infections. They are getting their lungs shut down by the carbon monoxide given out by the smoke. I am an occasional smoker and have no tolerance towards people who don't smoke repsonsably. Meaning, don't do it where it's going to affect those who don't want it or can't tolerate it near them. Animals and children are the #1 reason.

Also, to let you know when I worked at the vet we had one lady's dog die from lung cancer from second hand smoke. I saw the necropsy and he showed me the lung tissue which was black as night.

While I don't have a problem killing off my own lungs, I do have a problem with those who subject innocents to the same crap.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree entirely with Huntress. Being a light smoker myself, I can personally say I strive to be as considerate as possible with it and that it is important now, more than ever, that all smokers try to be respectful.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're in kind of a bind, after all, it is their house. It kinds of seems like the best approach would be for you to do something about it. Is it possible to limit your reptiles exposure to the smoke? Can you close off the room they are in and somehow reduce their exposure? Occasionally, if I smoke inside (weekends only), I run an ionic air filter. I'm not sure how far they go with C0, but they definitely clear off the odor. HTH.
NOAH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron I just quite smoking 5 1/2 months now and the smell, from my wife smoking drove me nuts even after I had only quite smoking a month.
unfortunatly benedictj is right, it is there home,so I only say this becuase I'm am strongly aganst smoking and an *@#! about it so I'd say giv'em hell about it. No offence huntress and benedictj. This may not work for situation,but I would sure give it a try.It only took three months to get my wife to smoke outside full time he,he,he Twisted Evil
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the smell of smoking and smokers. a few people in my grade maybe 5-10 maybe more smoke now. there all the morons trouble makers ect. you can tell when they've gone off for a smoke cause they walk into class and they just reak of smoke. I have been against cigarettes my whole life. my dad smoked and quit when he had kids with my mom. its kinda obvious that smokings bad when he decided that for the good of his children he would quit. also one of my uncles from britain smokes and it emotionally kills me to see him smoke. hes just such a great guy and lots of fun.

a little off topic but also hate alcohol. I don't mind other people drinking it but I just hate that sort of stuff. I am glad I moved to aus cause I would have been isolated at my old school, acording ot an old friend everybody drinks, has or dose pot ect.

my 2 cents ect.

tara you could try shuving nice photos of desieses caused by smoking(normaly I would recomend this but if I had some sand boas(awsome snakes lucky you, I would do everything to stop them from smoking) you could also buy them some patches might as well just stick a patch on instead of smoking, or just make sure they are in the room when an anti-smoking add is on.
2 winged demons
Chaffe
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the animals... they should have more respect for your health! IME nothing is worse than having to be in an environment where you are constantly subject to 2nd hand smoke.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

also a good helpful cough now and then when they light up might give them a hint. I hope you mom and step dad understand your position and have the curtisy to not do to your lungs what htey are doing to their own.

andrew
2 winged demons
Jay NYC
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the articles and the lectures, as a smoker, I know that they won't work. But there are few items that you can get to help.

I recently got 2 Cockatiels....I'm a newbie to birds and I found out (before I got them, thanfkfully) that smoking around them can pretty much be fatal. So rather than take the hint for myself and quit smoking...I figured out how to get rid of the smoke in the house....:

1. Smokeless Ashtray
2. Exhaust Fan in window, a regular fan pointed out the widow will work too
3. Air Filter

I don't have an air filter yet but I'm devising a plan in my head on how to construct a DIY unit...but that's a post for a later date. Anyway....Use the smokeless ashtray and when you're smoking....blow the smoke out in the direction of the exhaust fan, a ceiling fan helps too. When you do it like this there will be a faint scent of smoke in the room for a few minutes...but no actual smoke will be the the air....with an air filter it would even better. You can probably get the ashtray and the fan for for around $50 if you look around online.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: