Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Instant Ocean
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorayMan
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)17:46    Post subject: Instant Ocean Reply with quote

Hi I am new at this but For a 65 Gallon tank, How much Instant Ocean do I Use? It says 5G=1.5LBS. So Do I use 21Lbs of Instant Ocean? Its a brand New Tank
juice28
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I thought that stuff was 1/2 cup to a gallon of water, but I don't know for sure...
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

juice28 wrote:
Hmmm...I thought that stuff was 1/2 cup to a gallon of water, but I don't know for sure...

That's about what I use. When mixing, make sure to measure the SG of the water, it should be between 1.021 and 1.026, depending on the inhabitants.
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

juice28 wrote:

thats what the box says......... I used that and the SG reading was right on the money for the 10gal.

Rob
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should see if 1/2 cup = 16 oz?
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, this is the easy part of the hobby. MIxing the correct amount of salt really isn't that difficult, and needs to be correct. You shouldn't just guess at this part. Wink

You need to have a specific gravity reader. Mix slightly less that you think you need, such as 2 cups per 5 gallons. Test and add more salt as needed. I like to let my salt mix overnight, using a powerhead to mix the water.

I also would keep the salt levels on the lower end of the above mentioned range. Somewhere near 1.019 to 1.021 is more appropriate, unless you are keeping Red Sea caught species, which would be unlikely.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:

Well since I cook a lot, I just had to say something about this Very Happy

1/2 cup = 8 oz
1 cup = 16 oz
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkLehr wrote:
Look, this is the easy part of the hobby. MIxing the correct amount of salt really isn't that difficult, and needs to be correct. You shouldn't just guess at this part. Wink

You need to have a specific gravity reader. Mix slightly less that you think you need, such as 2 cups per 5 gallons. Test and add more salt as needed. I like to let my salt mix overnight, using a powerhead to mix the water.

I also would keep the salt levels on the lower end of the above mentioned range. Somewhere near 1.019 to 1.021 is more appropriate, unless you are keeping Red Sea caught species, which would be unlikely.

Definite thumbs up to this. NEVER rely on ANYONE except yourself to know what is going into your tank INCLUDING salt mix manufacturers. If using a hydrometer, make sure temps match. Otherwise, a refractometer is probably the best investment I ever made in my tank(s). I would correct, however, the SG recommended. Most people are now keeping all of their tanks, including FO, at NSW levels around 1.025. If you're keeping a reef or inverts, going too low can actually kill many species.
dR3w
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Wright wrote:
Huntress wrote:

Well since I cook a lot, I just had to say something about this Very Happy

1/2 cup = 8 oz
1 cup = 16 oz

Since I am an engineer I have to say something about this.

1/2 cup = 8 oz for water, and stuff with a similar density. A cup is a volume measure. 1/2 a cup of rocks will weigh more that 1/2 a cup of water. Thus the rocks would sink in water.

Density of Salt (NaCl) is 2.165 g/ml but that is for solid salt, and the stuff in the mix is lose, and I could only guess the density is about 1.2 g/ml or 74.8 lbm/ft3 ... compared to water at 62.4.

So 1/2 cup of loose salt should be about 9.6 ounces lose or aout 17.3 ounces, solid ... which would be a little over a pound. 16 ounces in a pound.

Sorry, but just being an engineer.

dR3w
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkLehr wrote:

Not sure where you read this. I'll take a guess at it though is from a LFS. Natural sea water is 1.026 and when I first entered the hobby almost 15 years ago, the thinking was that parasites etc. would be less likely at lower s.g. This helps out at the LFS and is also cheaper in large volumes of water for them. Red sea animals can be found in 1.030+ in nature.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: