Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Draft]It's all in the genes...
 Forum Index > Article Preparation Room  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)15:18    Post subject: [Draft]It's all in the genes... Reply with quote

Every hobbyist manages to produce fry from one tropical fish or another. At some point in time, the serious fish keeper will probably attempt to do this on purpose. A species is picked, a strain is chosen, and the tank or tanks are ready. Now how do we choose the parents? How do we find a good set of genes that will get us nice looking fish?

In the end, the answers are buried in the genetic makeup of the fish. The good news is there are ways to pick better parents than simply rolling the dice.

Once you have found a seller with a good reputation, and seen the fish he has for sale as breeding stock, its time to ask the questions that will give you the clues on the genetic quality of the parents.

1.) Does the seller have any information on the ancestry of these fish?

It is at this point where a brief description of genetics may help you understand what controls the appearance of your fish.

A Gene is made up of two alleles (appears like the letter X) and each gene sits on a chain in a certain spot or loci. Each half of the letter X is an allele and are like tiny computer programs for the fish that tell the cells of the fish where to go, what to do and what colour to end up as the fry grows. These programs can work together, or one can over rule the other. Sometimes, the programs are completely over ruled or skipped because of a program at another spot or condition in your tank.

When fish breed, each parent donates
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great initiative DM! That's a very interesting topic that unfortunately doesn't get talked about too much. As soon as I get a chance I'll make a critical reading of the text and try to give your some feedback...
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'd appreciate it. Right off the bat I see I used the masculine for breeder (I.e. HE ... Smile )
and I need to 3rd question o be a formed question so I can bold it...
any other suggestions for improvements will be appreciated. Thanks!
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
NOAH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never coment on an article ,but I must say this one hits all the high points a beginer breeder needs to know. just today, I set up a breeder tank for guppy's,to start off easy, and I will definatly take the advise given in choosing good starting stock, to keep healthy fish as well as beautiful.
 Forum Index > Article Preparation Room All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: