Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I have taken the challage!! 10 Gal. Saltwater
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)14:16    Post subject: I have taken the challage!! 10 Gal. Saltwater Reply with quote

I have been reading, and reading and it seems that when you start in the saltwater world you should be at least 30 gal.

Well right now my finnances are in the way of that even thoe I am saving my pennys for a 90 gal one I want to make a full reef/coral tank. Now I have kept a cichlid tank for 2 years with no problem. I gave away all the fishes and this is the tank I will be using.

After cleaning the tank, I did the insta ocean and let that water run for 28 hrs. THen I added the live sand and the shop said I could add 1 fish. They recomended I beleive it was a damsel. It is blue and the fin is yellow. after adding the live sand it took a while for the water to get clear but it did in a day.

Now my ? is that they told me I had to give it about 3 weeks for the "cycle" to complete. Can I add one more fish? I was thinking another damsel just cause this first one looks loney. Its been about 3 days now and the fish looks fins.

Now once the "cycle" is complete what is the maximum amount of fish I can have in that 10gal at one time?

thanks all for your help in advance!

Rob
juice28
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to do some reading my friend. This forum and your local supplier are great places to get advice. But you're missing the foundation upon which to expand your knowledge. The Complete Marine Aquarium is a book that I reccommend to cover the basics.
Cycling a tank refers to the turnover of nitrogenous waste products. Live rock and live sand contain bacteria that break down ammonia/ammonium to nitrite, and then again on to nitrate. These nitrogen products are much less toxic to fish than ammonia is. You were told to put a damsel into your tank to supply the bacteria with a source of ammonia/ammonium to kick start the whole process, which takes between 2 and 5 weeks. It's really tough on the fish to be put into a tank like that, and many won't survive the process. A lot of people reccommend just starting it off with a cocktail shrimp (dead) instead, which works just as well. Don't put another fish in there, not until you've quality tested the water a few times to see that the cycling process is complete. Again, go do some reading!
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your answer.. yea it seems one can never read too much so I will keep on my tirst for knowledge on this matter. It seems there is no getting around the test kit so I will buy one as soon as I get paid. Once the cycling period is done, will the water be pretty much stable or will there always be chemicals I would have to be adding?

I know for example with freash water its pretty much the water conditioner with water changes and thats it. WHat I am trying to ask is once all the amonia is removed from the water and the cycle is complete. If I am slack and over feed a high amonia will come back correct? And if it does are there drops etc to eliminate it?

thanks and sorry if it sounds dumb

Rob
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be anything to add to the water for fish only, just some food for them, and a 25% water change every other week. Although with a tank that small, to minimize the water quality changes, maybe 10% a week would be a better option...
That's the big risk with a smaller tank, you only have this tiny margin for error with the water, where with a larger tank, your margin for error is significantly larger.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest sticking with the 25% water change every other week suggestion. Careful math will show you that a 25% biweekly water change will keep your Nitrate levels much lower than a 10% weekly. I don't feel like like typing the long explanation, so I am asking that you just trust me on this. 10% weekly is really not productive and I think almost all hobbyists would quit this practice if they took time to explore and track the benefits of their work. 25% biweekly will be great for your tank.

As to stocking levels, you will be pushing it to have more than 2 fish. In saltwater, the stocking levels are not so much determined by your biological filters ability to metabolize ammonia and nitrite. This would not be a problem in a mature tank, even with 5 or 6 fish. The problem is simply STRESS. They is no way to measure with a test kit the stress your fish are under in a confined environment, especially one so small. More stress = weakened immunity = more frequent sickness.

After the cycle, I would remove your Damsel and purchase 2 small fish to add at the same time. A pair of Ocellaris Clowns would be nice. Or perhaps a single Clownfish and a Six Line Wrasse. Anything more than 2 small fish in a 10 gallon will be extremely difficult over a period of 6 months or longer. You would likely be fighting off disease frequently.
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the explination... I think I am understanding what you mean with the Stress issue..

Now the guy at the store told me to forget the test kit and just go with a water change every month.. didn't sound right to me.. I think I am going to stick with th 25% every 2 weeks.

Also I can imagine that maintaining a FO tank is easier than maintaining a reef tank, and I know that the rule is the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintaine but I see in the store even like 2-6gal reef tanks. I mean as a beginnier should I even get into this cause in reality whats a saltwater tank without reefs? Thats is one of the main reasons I love saltwater tanks.

I know here we get into a hole other ballpark of lights, other liquids to add, etc, but man it sure is nice to look at. I saw a 5 gal tank with one clown and beautifull corals/reefs for $300.00.. I personally think its too much so I wanted to try after the cycle to maybe get into that..

Rob
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyrob wrote:
thanks for the explination... I think I am understanding what you mean with the Stress issue..

Now the guy at the store told me to forget the test kit and just go with a water change every month.. didn't sound right to me.. I think I am going to stick with th 25% every 2 weeks.

Also I can imagine that maintaining a FO tank is easier than maintaining a reef tank, and I know that the rule is the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintaine but I see in the store even like 2-6gal reef tanks. I mean as a beginnier should I even get into this cause in reality whats a saltwater tank without reefs? Thats is one of the main reasons I love saltwater tanks.

I know here we get into a hole other ballpark of lights, other liquids to add, etc, but man it sure is nice to look at. I saw a 5 gal tank with one clown and beautifull corals/reefs for $300.00.. I personally think its too much so I wanted to try after the cycle to maybe get into that..

Rob

Not as easy as it looks. I'm close friends with a lot of owners at fish stores, and they spend a lot of time before and after the shop to clean those tanks. Don't forget that a lot of those mini reef tanks usually have a quite expensive central filtration system.

Whatever you do I recommend you stay away from coral & some of the less common invertebrae completely. You'll need a whole new upgrade on lighting, more supplies, and much better water quality to keep these guys alive.
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand... I guess ill give it a while before I go that deep into it.. Just going to concentrate on getting this cycled and then upgrading to clown fish and maybe just a live rock..

After I while I will then try to get into a reef tank..

thanks all for your comments and help.....

Rob
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: