Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Damn you, gods of the Aquarium- (long post)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)18:40    Post subject: Damn you, gods of the Aquarium- (long post) Reply with quote

I purchased a pair of Nannacara Anomola about a month ago. Being the first time I have kept them, and the fact that they are the first dwarves I've kept other than Rams and Kribs, I was excited. They were a pair that, according to the guy at the LFS, had been getting friendly with each other. So, of course, I wanted to get them to breed.

I set them up in their own 10g and fed them primarily live food and did water changes everyother day. After 2 weeks, there was no sign of anything brewing. I then spent a week out of town, got home to nothing. Finally, late last week the female really started to color up. They spent Friday and Saturday alternating between swimming side by side and chasing each other.

Then, on Sunday, the super in my building "accidentally" turned off all of the heat. The overnight temp in my apartment dropped to 46 f, which as too much for my heater- the tank temp fell to 70. Then, Monday evening I noticed the beginings of an ich outbreak. By Tuesday morning it had gotten worse- the male had spots all over his forehead and the female had a spot on her right eye. Naturally, I slowly raised the temp in the tank up to 84 and began half doses of Rid Ich.

Thrusday morning I woke up and turned on the lights. Normally, the female and male both pop out from the spots when the lights come on, expecting their morning food. No female this time- Surprise-she chose to stay with her clutch of about 20 amber coloured, definitely fertilized eggs, seemingly laid while I wasn't paying attention Wednesday evening.

Of course, with a temp of 84 in the tank, the chances the fry will even be big enough to take BBS is next to nil, and the Rid Ich probably won't be exactly beneficial.

I realize that there will most likely be a next time and right now I'm more focused on keeping Mom and Dad healthy and ich free. Stil, I just wanted to say- Damn you, you thugs, you merciless gods of the aquarium...

Anybody else want to join in my sacrelige and tell the story of their toils and penance?
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the meds will hurt the fry? Isn't there a possibility it will help the fry be healthier?? You never know, the Gods might have thrown you a beneficial curveball...

Byez! Very Happy
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure how exactly things are going, but either way I'm willing to bet the parents are probably going to mess up the first spawn anyway. Their is still a chance, but I agree sometimes things happen at really odd times.

I was in a pretty dire situation with my Elassoma evergladei(Everglades pygmy sunfish). I'm down to 2 males and a female. The female has fungus, but with salt treatment and isolation seems to be getting better. The "fate" part was that someone who had got evergladei from the same source(and who due to an accident lost some) planned to rush me a female. The female dissapeared the night before he planned to ship.

But the good part is that I noticed maybe 6 or more fry swimming around in the original tank. The female no doubt spawned before I removed her for treatment. Everything looks to be bouncing back so hopefully I will have success with these fish.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, noname, odd timing in deed. The female is still gaurding the spot, though the few eggs that were visible and fertilized are now gone. Either she ate em or they hit the wiggler state and she moved them further in. I noticed she has been fanning the area with her tail as well.

Sorry about the pygmies, man. I know you were excited to get them, hope your luck turns around with the female.

As far as the Rid Ich in there with the fry, I'd be tempted to say it won't help in terms of stress on the wigglers. Also, in one of the few things I could find on Nannacara that was in English, it said that high temperatures speed the metabolism of the female, causing her eggs to be smaller and the fry are subsequently smaller. I ordered some microworms, hopefully that will do the trick if they make it. I'd like to have a succesful spawn, maybe catch some pics (if I can get my skills together) and maybe get a gallery entry happening.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've heard that higher temperatures can cause eggs to develop too fast and either hatch small or hatch prematurely. Probably sudden change of conditions triggered spawning.

Yeah. The pygmies will be worth the effort if I succeed though. They are really cool fish. I'm betting the female will be back with the male in 5 days or so as the fungus is currently almost gone.

Microworms would be nice for the fry.

Good luck!
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news, Mom passed away last night for reasons I can't quite put my finger on (after gobbling up the eggs that didn't fungus right around the point they were to become wigglers). She developed a ulcer cyst type thing right behind her left vent. I'm tempted to say that it might have been TB. The water conditions were impecable (trates less then 10) and she didn't respond very well to broad spectrum even in a low dose.

Bummed.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)5:20    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your fish loss Jake, esspecially when you lose a fish from outside forces and there is nothing you can about it. I lost half of my fishes in my fish tank from the council tap water including my favourite fish the full grown Archer fish that use to spit water at my flatmates. I nearly gave up the aquarium hobby. When I rang up the council to complain the high ammonia from the tap water they said " It does not matter if your fish die it is people we only care about". Now I test the tap water as a preventative measure for ammonia, chlorine and nitrite before doing a water change . I soon learned never assume tap water safe for your fish. Any way sorry I rave on but your bad luck on the super turning off the heat power for your appartment brought back memories five years ago.

from Josh.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Josh.

I'm not too distraught by it, since I really have given both the fish a better home than they had at the lfs, where according to the clerk, they had been for 3 months and, as always, overcrowded in too small a tank with their compatriots. I half expected the ich outbreak, but I'm pretty unhappy about the mystery disease.

As far as the super thing goes, my wife and I are out of here in a little over a week. It is pretty annoying that we pay an exorbinant amount of rent and have to put up with heating issues (Brooklyn prices are past the line of sanity). But, onward and upward.

Jake
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)8:10    Post subject: Cheers Jake Reply with quote

Jake I am glad you are looking upwards in Brooklyn and gee you must get cold there. In Queensland Australia, I have problems keeping my fish tank cool where the temperature in Summer reaches in the 86 -95 F. Maybe you guys move to Australia as our rent Aust ($280/week)is cheaper than Brooklyn and the USA dollar is higher than Australia. Not that I should tell where you should live.

Anyway hope the move goes well for you and that you find a nicer place. By the way is Brooklyn in New York.
Good Luck from Josh
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)8:58    Post subject: Re: Cheers Jake Reply with quote

Josh Hansen wrote:

By the way is Brooklyn in New York.

Oh yeah, Brooklyn is part of New York City.

Jake
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: