Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can We Have a Catfish Forum?
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)8:04    Post subject: Can We Have a Catfish Forum? Reply with quote

Hi, Marcos.

I just wanted to know if we could have a catfish forum on the board, similar to the Cichlids one we already have. There are many species of catfish from around the world (as many as there are cichlids), so having somewhere on the board to discuss catfish would be great. I am a member of another catfish forum on the internet, but nobody ever seems to stop by for a chat. There are always many people posting on this board, and plenty of people to chat to. So what am asking is, since the cichlid lovers on this board have their forum, can catfish lovers have one too?

It would be really cool if we could have one. What do you think?

Thanks. Very Happy
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doupt a catfish section will ever be created. if we make a catfish part then the betta people would be all why can't we have a forum why can't tetras have a forum? why can't killifish have a forum?

the reason an area devoted to catfish will most likely not be created is because there simply aren't enough posts about catfish.

andrew
2 winged demons
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the "new forum" possibilities that regularly come up here, a Catfish forum is among the most likely candidates, given that it fulfills several of the requirements for a separate forum to be created, particularly:

1) It has a reasonably well defined scope and boundary with other forums;

2) There's a large enough number of families, genera and species in the group, with radically different characteristics and requirements, which leads to enough complexity that topics/discussions won't be too repetitive;

3) The webmaster really likes catfish Wink

So this one (together with a Breeding forum) are under serious consideration. The only issue is whether there's really enough demand for it on this board. I do not generally believe in creating the forum first and then hope people will populate it. The multilingual forum was an experimental exception and it's already showing why I don't like this type of approach (*yawn*)...I'm not sure it'll last much longer on the board and then I might actually replace it with one or both of these I've mentioned...
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on the Multi-Lingual room - I think if it were in the off-topic area it would see more use. People who come to the English language part of the site will generally be using English to talk about fish; it's the off-topic "Hey, let my practice my Italian by having a discussion about cheese" stuff that tends to make people want to use their language skills, I think.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying Marcos, and I'm glad to hear it's under consideration. Although I understand what your saying as to whether it would generate enough interest. I think it would, just on the basis of the number of people who keep catfish like Corydoras and Plecos.

I think it will be a good idea anyway. Very Happy
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos, I would like a Breeding forum, like you commented about.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a catfish fan, I am definitely behind having a forum devoted to them!!
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: