Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Table Salt
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotia Fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)4:59    Post subject: Table Salt Reply with quote

I have a pregnant freshwater shrimp but the babies live in a brackish environment. What is the diff between common table salt and marine salt at the LFS? Some sites I've read say that table salt is fine. Help please.

Chris
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DIfference is that Ocean Salt/Marine Salt has trace Elements and has a higher salinity, Specicfic Gravity when used, Just like the ocean. Table Salt lacks Elements and can be used but strongly go against it.
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.20(Sun)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

table salt also has iodine added to it as well as many anti-caking additives. It isn't very good for fishies.

Aquarium salt is basically the purest of pure salt (if I'm not mistaken). I believe natural sea salt (as long as there are no additives and such) is the same thing.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use Instant Ocean and get a hydrometer and get the specific gravity to about 1.005-1.008
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, the "salinity" of mix salt and table salt is not an issue. Equal amounts added to a tank, will, of course, result in the one using table salt having a higher salinity, given the same volume of water, because table salt is not "cut" with other elements/salts and is almost pure sodium chloride.

BW is a subjective term. I'm assuming the larval stages of your shrimp inhabit areas where runoff from land and sea water mix. Use marine salt mix and get it to about 1.015 as this is what I think you're looking for. Shrimp species would help.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: