Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
making a cave out of 1 big rock
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)1:27    Post subject: making a cave out of 1 big rock Reply with quote

I got a large rock today. I have done the vinegar test (it works out fine). I was wondering, if its safe to chissle out a hole thoguht the rock so the fish can swim through
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marto,
Go for it!!!
Be willing to lose the rock, in a sense, as you hammering may fracture it.
P.S. Wear your saftey goggles.
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)2:12    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

AFAIK the rocks in the fish stores with the holes through them are made with high pressure water or sand blasting. You will not get the same results with a chissel. By all means try though, I look forward to hearing whether or not it worked out for you.
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the pH test with the rock in the bucket and a day later the pH went from 7.0 to yellow acid. so I decided not to put it in my tank (cause I want my pH to stay newtural
TankLuvr
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, what is the vinegar test? I have some limestone rocks we would like to use in our new (not yet purchased) 125gal. cichlid tank. Our neighbor has a sandblaster, so we could make some really cool caves and hidey holes with that. I just want to know how to make the rocks safe to begin with. I know they would have to be thouroughly cleaned, even after the sand blasting, it was suggested that I do that by soaking them in a solution of bleach water at 1tsp./1gal., scrubbing, and rinsing, rinsing, rinsing! Laughing Sounds like fun Rolling Eyes

One other thing, desperately looking for second opinion on wether or not I can use my softened water. Was told by the lfs "guy" that if I added crushed coral to the substrate, that would adequately raise the pH, currently at 7.0. Otherwise, I'm back to running next door for good old city water! I know there is a "cichlid" substrate available, but I can only find that in dark colors, we're looking to keep the lighter colored substrate. Any clues, please advise, Thanks!
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yes, if your rock is actually limestone, it is probably the cause for the pH elevation in your aquarium water. Limestone is calcareous, and is known for its ability to both harden the water and increase the pH. In fact, if someone asks me how to raise water pH, one method I suggest is to place limestone, crushed coral, or any highly calcareous material in their filter. Your water may also be naturally hard and alkaline, which adds further to the high pH. I'd definitely recommend testing the rock, and if there is any doubt, remove it entirely."

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/qa/f/faq0017.htm

So I guess that depends on whether or not you want to make your water harder with a higher pH. My water is hard and has a pH of 8 right out of the tap, so I could not use limestone in my tank.

That link also describes the vinegar test.
TankLuvr
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.25(Fri)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quaid for that link Very Happy I do need to raise the pH as I have cichlids and my starting pH is 7.0 Rolling Eyes Since I don't have the "big" tank as of yet, I don't have the limestone either, but I bought some crushed coral yesterday to add to my current substrate when I do a water change this afternoon. From all I've researched this should do the trick in the current tank. I'll be checking the pH quite a few times in the next week and I have some pH buffer in case I need it. Thanks again!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: