Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Out of sight.....
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)23:15    Post subject: Out of sight..... Reply with quote

...and out of mind, as the saying goes.

And the saying has little to do with this rant. Name of the rant? Outsourcing, and I will be the first to admit that I'm bias in this category. Until December, I worked for BestWestern hotels, in a call center in Glendale, Arizona, taking and making reservations for people worldwide. Mid December, we all got a note in the call center, stating that our jobs were being sent overseas to India and the Philipines. We were also told by our head managers that we were not losing our jobs right out, but that the center would close May 15. Why so long? Because, we were informed, our replacements were being taught how to speak and understand casual English. Street English.

Of course, once the news broke, people began to leave. I was one of them. I had a retail job lined up, which did not work out, unfortunately. Before I left, however, our supervisors were told to remind us that outsourcing aside, we could still be fired for lack of reservations, for not trying our best during a busy season.

So I left. And found out recently that the Glendale call center closed last month, due to a lack of staff. Those who stayed behind were sent over to the Phoenix call center, which will also be closing for good May 15, unless everyone quits before then.

So my question. The CEO of BestWestern obbviously won't read this, but I've come to the conclusion, as right or as wrong as it may be, that this is, of course, all because of money. Why pay people in America X number of dollars when someone in India will do the same job for half the price? Of course, I find it also hard to believe that the CEO ever -called- the 1-800 line, or listened to customer complaints....the people who hung up on us because we weren't in the same city as their destination city, the people who screamed at us when we didn't speak Cajun or understand their New Jersey accent, the people who asked me if I was black, and if I was black, that they'd hang up on me and call for a white person.

So it's bittersweet, but I tell the people who will be answering the calls I used to get to have fun.

Anyone else been outsourced? I'm sure the threat isn't just with call centers and tech support, though I do admit sending all your customer service jobs overseas is a great idea. When people can't understand the help desk, they tend to hang up and not call back. Which means satisfied customers.

Off my soapbox now....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kilted
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my last day at my job is this Friday. I am the web master (plus I do all the graphic design work and handle all the tech support within the company for one of the computer platforms we use) for a small company and my job is being outsourced, not to another country but to another company. I suppose it I should take some solace in the fact that I am loosing my job, not because the people who run the company are greedy sods after even more money, because of what I see as very poor management.

I actually moved cross country to take this job, started off taking a cut in pay compared to the job I left to take this one (but I did hate that job anyway), and pretty much gave up everything to go to work for this company. Why would I do something so stupid? Because the owner of the company said that he wanted to run his business in a way that would be fair to his employees, fair to his customers, fair to his suppliers, and fair to the environment. As it turns out he has managed to screw over myself and a few other people with his bad decisions (and his unwillingness to listen to his employees when they tried to talk him out of making these bad decisions) and it could get worse as he is scrambling to just keep afloat at this point.

I really hope he manages to find a way to make things work without hurting too many other people as he is selling a damn good product, as for me I guess I get to go to the unemployment office Monday and then strike out to find another job. So even when someone's intentions are right people can still get screwed. Oh well, at least I got my new aquarium before I got laid off Smile
Herbert
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

too many arguments for and against this, for people getting jobs for people loosing jobs, what do I say, life is a b****

sorry that you lost your job, but arent you happy for me that I did get a job.

I do agree with you though that it is all done for money, and hope and pray that you do find a better job, and tomorrow look at outsourcing as a blessing in disguise.

You might have guessed by now that I'm from India.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I guess this truly is an International board.

I can thankfully say that I have not been outsourced. Still, I'm fairly attached to the issue since my closest, oldest friend, a computer programer, has been outsourced 3 seperate time within the last 5 years. It has absolutely devestated his life to the point of full blown alcoholism. He has been in and out of treatment and at this point has been pretty much destroyed by depression.

This is an issue that sorely needs to be addressed. I used to supported the concept of globalization when it was intended to be for expansion of business. Unfortunately it has been brutally mismanaged. It's really disgusting to see companies that were litterally built by working class americans dismiss the people and their children, the folks who made them viable.

Hey, rock on kilted and Taratron, hopefully the change will come. Or you can just "retrain" and get "the jobs of the future".Rolling Eyes
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

taratron what would have really worked well to stop that is the moment they said that you will not be fired imediatly because the replacements need to be trained get everybody to go on strike or quit! suddenly they have no one to make reservations and probably loose a bucket load of money.

andrew
2 winged demons
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tara,

In a bit of bitsweet irony for you, the recent ecomonic reports I read on outsourcing aren't looking good for US companies. They are losing clients because too many US customers are not willing to work with overseas call centers. On top of that the cultural and language barriers are causing problems costing the companies more money. Reducing the savings margin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: