Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RightNearDaBeach
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)11:04    Post subject: Marine Tank Reply with quote

For all you SW guru's,
I am very interested in setting up a nano SW FO tank. I have a 12 gallon tank and I was thinking along the lines of 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. I have read several forums on this site and others saying it's OK to keep these fish in a tank that big(small, whatever). Do you guys agree with that? Also, I've read to have about 1 1/2 inches of substrate, and I've read 3-4 inches of substrate. I've read to use both Live rock and Live sand, and I've read to use either Live sand OR Live rock. What do you guys suggest? I would like to hear 1 solid answer and go on it. Every thing I've read about housing requirements for these fish and requirements to keep the water safe and clean and none of these forums are the same. Always different! I can't go on anything I've read because of that. Also, what kind of equipment should I be using. All of these forums about SW don't really give an equipment list for a smaller tank setup. Is it wise to use an Under Gravel Pump? Should I use a Wet/Dry sump filter? Does this make sense to use with a smaller tank like mine? I've read that the protein skimmer and the Wet/Dry sump work together. Is this true? Are there any of you who have a setup that works that could give me an equipment list? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

IRICaddy1[/quote]
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tank size will be fine. Live rock and live sand work as a filter for your tank and your live rock will turn your sand live after some time. In the case of your tank I would get a good submerible filter and not worry about live rock since you are not trying to keep corals. a sump on a 12gal is kinda overkill and not necessary.The submersible filter will provide current like a powerhead. The main reason people use live rock is to keep nitrates down as filters are deigned to create high nitrates through the nitrogen cycle. Skimmers are great for nutrient export but I don't know how well one would work on a 12gal, I've never had a sw tank that small. It will be a lot of maintenance to keep your water stable at that small of a tank. It would be wise to start with a larger tank if you could but it will work. Clownfish are very agressive towards one another so you would have to get a mated pair or acouple of juveniles and try to make them pair up. That could lead to one dead juvie though. I've heard that cleaner shrimp are sensitive to high nitrates but my shrimp lasted over a year with my many mistakes as I learning about SW. He only died when my heater broke and cooked him.Iwould suggest reading a couple books on Saltwater aquariums and clownfish. Good Luck
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay SW fans, coming at you from my new 15 inch Apple Powerbook today...
My friend the reason you see so many suggestions is there are different roads to success! I agree with the previous post, you should invest in a good book to get a complete understanding of your options. I suggest Bob Fenner's THE CONSCIENTIOUS MARINE AQUARIST it's a great book, the forums will give you quick answers but often only bits and pieces. Truth is my daughter has a 5 gal SW with an ocellaris and a blue damsel and they are doing great with an undergravel only. You won't find me ever recommending such a small system due to low volume/low stability but it CAN BE DONE if you are careful. My suggestion; use the 10 gal for a quarantine tank and get a minimum 29 gal for your display.
Undergravels and crushed coral are fine for basic fish systems, add a skimmer for nutrient export after about 6 months.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: