Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bubble on irridescent shark
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ssativa
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)23:46    Post subject: Bubble on irridescent shark Reply with quote

When I first purchased my albino irridescent shark he was doing headstands. It is finally over that problem and now he develops a bubble in his cheek, just like those funny goldfish have. My shark is acting great otherwise, but this bubble has been here for about 2 weeks and I have no clue what it could have come from or how to get rid of it. Any ideas?
Here is a pic
http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/8512Amsterdam_last_day_056-med.jpg
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)0:09    Post subject: lump Reply with quote

From personally experience in my fish keeping the lump in the fish is a cancer tumour. The cancer lump in my past fish have become bigger and I have eventually have destroyed the fish. I am interested to see if anyone has diagonised of something else but I feel 85% confident in my answer.

from Josh
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually get the lump biopsied to show that it was indeed cancerous? There are many tumours that are non cancerous, but can cause illness and death.

What other types of fish are in the tank with the catfish? How large is the tank and what are your water parameters?
Ssativa
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank is a 30 gallon. I have guppies which I raised myself, and a Pleco in the tank with my shark. The shark is only about 2 inches long. I know how bigt he shark will get and I have a friend with a 200 gallon tank who is going to take my shark when he outgrows this tank. This is my second irridescent shark. I had the first one for about 2 years before he got too big and he presently lives in that 200 gallon tank. I'm not sure what you mean by the parameters of the tank. The bubble on the sharks face is transparent and it seems to be more like a fluid filled cyst than a tumor.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fluid filled something. It may have been caused by him hitting the site of the tank or some type of decoration. Irridescents aren't the brightest of fish.

As for parameters I meant ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
Ssativa
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)0:26    Post subject: OMG he looks much worse! Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I don't know what to do. My shark looks much worse. Has anyone seen anything like this?
http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/8512home_095-med.jpg
http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/8512home_093-med.jpg
http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/8512home_090-med.jpg
Whats wrong with his nose? I did a partial water change, but as for the parameters of the tank, don't ask. I don't know. I have had this tank for 3 years now and have not had to clean it once, besides changing the filter. It stays beautiful and has always sorta maintained itself. Even the baby guppies are fine. What could I be doing wrong? Confused
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.20(Sun)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get a water test kit to test your water values. If all you've done in 3 years is change the filter and maybe top off some evaporated water then your tank may be having serious problems. How large is the tank? You may want to do some waterchanges and dose with some melafix to clean out whatever wound/cyst/thing he's got. Check out the FAQ for questions about your tank that really need to be answered before we can give you some more advice.
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the fish bang into the glass a lot? Red markings on the nose of the fish usually come from this. In those pics what is the fish actually lying in? How often and how much do you waterchange? Can you get those ammonia etc tests kits and get us the results?
Ssativa
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.21(Mon)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the fish bang into the glass a lot? Red markings on the nose of the fish usually come from this. In those pics what is the fish actually lying in? How often and how much do you waterchange?

Actually, I've never witnessed the shark bang into the glass ever. He is still small, so although he occasionally gets spooked and darts about the tank at lightning speed, I've never seen him crash.

In the pic, my shark is lying in spagnum moss.

Truthfully, I used to only replace the evaporated water until recently when these problems began. Since, I have done a 25 % water change twice.

Keep in mind that this is the exact same enviornment that my previous shark lived in and it grew to be nice and healthy and continues to thrive in his new, bigger home.

Here is a picture of the tank he lives in. The water never looks funky and the other fish are fine. http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/8512tank_013.jpg
Ssativa
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)23:36    Post subject: Unbelievable GH levels Reply with quote

Finally! I just borrowed a freshwater test kit from a friend of mine. It is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. My albino irridescent shark is still hangin in there. Shocked The tests show the following: pH= 6.0, Nitrite= 0 ppm (mg/L), Ammonia=.50 ppm (mg/L), I know this ammonia level is too high but the results that I got for GH are ridiculous. To test the general hardness the directions say to add one drop of solution to 5 ml of water, and shake. Each drop =1 (degree) dGH or 17.9 ppm GH. It says to add one drop at a time shaking vile after each drop until the water turns from orange to green. My problem is I have already added 62 drops and the water in the vial is now only a reddish orange color. That would make my GH at 62 dGH or 1109.8 ppm GH. What is going on? Shouldn't my fish all be dead? Could the test solution be defective?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: