Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Riccia Farming. Tips please :).
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)14:40    Post subject: Riccia Farming. Tips please :). Reply with quote

Helo everybody,
I want to plant carpet plant, and I'm deciding between Riccia or Glosso. I know there's post about Glossostigma already, but that was kind of about, how to plant the plant. but even that, they only gave an idea about how they could use this needle point thin grids to hold the plant down on the gravel.

so my Glosso questions are:

1) how would you use the grid to plant the glosso in it. and I got a picture of the grid shown.

and do I have to use this? and if I do, how much of this grid do I need to start out. like what dimensions.

2) how tall does this lil' plants get? I just want a carpet plant to cover up my gravel. I don't want to a get a plant that could get taller than an inch (that's about 2.5 cm) and glosso do spread over the gravel right? because I hope it does. and it is the kind of plant that I'm lookin' for. that is to spread all over my gravel to cover it up.

3) I now have a zebra loach, and a yoyo loach in my tank. would they bother the growth of this plant at all? and could they probably even kill the plant? my loaches are still small. they're about 2 inches long. (about 5 cm)

and here are my Riccia questions:

1) how would I use the grid to plant the riccia. I read in the post where I got the picture. it says that I should just plant the riccia underneath the grid and it will grow through the grids. how would I start the set up, do I tie the riccia underneath the grid and wait until it starts growing through and over the grid before I plant it over my gravel?

2) and how high does riccia get?. and does it spread out like glosso does? or does glosso spread over the gravel better? (I actually have some riccia in my tank, but I tied them over my driftwood, and that is all I have.

3) would my zebra loach and yoyo loach bother the growth process of my riccia, when it's trying to grow across the gravel?

And I've seen pictures of glosso growing in the gravel, and spreading across that way. but I've never seen riccia growing in the gravel and actually rooting in the gravel. so I was wondering can riccia grow like glosso too?

well that's about it for now that I can think of. I will probably have more question and I will post them.

I believe I have adequate lighting. I have 65 watts for my 20 gallon, and I have CO2, and I fertelize about once or twice a week.

thanks for anybody's input in advance and taking the time to read and answer my questions!!!! I appreciate it much! Smile

Last edited by w5yw5y on 2005.04.17(Sun)13:24; edited 3 times in total
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, that is my photo and you are linking from one of my web sites. The photo is showing how to use the grids for growing submersed Riccia mounds. Glosso doesn't require using a grid, in fact, using a grid for planting Glosso would not be a wise choice. I/we use the grid for Riccia because Riccia is a floating plant but can also be "forced" to grow submersed and form really nire looking mounds. Glosso on the other hand should be planted directly into the substrate. I'll provide the complete details on how to create Riccia mounds using the grids.

I have a sort of love hate affair with Riccia fluitans. I love the "feel" it gives to a tank, I especially like soft mounds of Riccia fluitans in the foreground. The "hate" part comes from the mess that Riccia fluitans causes. All it takes is a few small pieces to "escape" and you end up with Riccia fluitans growing in your other plants and tons of it floating on the surface and blocking filter inlet strainers.

I've started using a method that seems to help cut down on the mess part and still allows my cherished mounds. Here's a step by step of how I do it.

I purchase these little needlepoint plastic grids at a craft store. A bag with several shapes and sizes was about $2.00.

Thankfully the shapes come in pairs. I take a portion of Riccia and spread it thinly across the top of one of the grid pieces.

Then I take the other same size grid and place on top of the Riccia and staple the two grids together making a Riccia sandwich.

These are then placed in the tank and weighed down with rocks.

Given plenty of light and CO2 you will have and incrediblely beautiful pearling mound of Riccia in a few short weeks.

The great thing about the grided Riccia is you can remove them from the tank for trimming so that you don't make a huge mess in the tank. And the grided mounds of Riccia can be easily moved if you want to change the look of your aquascape. Note that Glossostigma is a great companion plant that works really well with Riccia and can be used to "hold" it down....maintenance does increase significantly when doing this though.

I've posted this information on several web site forums and AquaBotanic has un article in a up coming Electronic Magazine detailing this "method" of growing Riccia mounds.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! that's amazing man! I never thought of that! I've always thought that I gotta tie it down to either a driftwood, rock, or other plants! man! that's awesome! thanks a lot! I'll try it out.

but what if I don't want to weight it down with rocks??...hm.... I guess I'll get creative... I'll tell ya my idea later Razz
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.12(Tue)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again guys! I'm bringing this question back Smile. I am thinking already of future plans. I am not going to plan way ahead! hahah, for my long narrow 50 gallon or bigger. Smile. I am planning to only grow Glosso or Riccia and have it a great plain sort of tank with rocks. So I am just wondering for ya'll plant experts and experienced that which one of the 2 you think it is easier to grow? I am already growing both of them in my current 20 gallon tank. And they are growing just fine! Smile.

I actually also have a question that after my riccia has grown up and stuff. (Right now I tie it down to a driftwood) How would I get some of it and seperate and start farming riccia. Do I just pick some off? Would it kill the part that I pick off from? thanks! Smile
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody have anything to say? Very Happy. Maybe I hope Steve Hampton could answer smoe of my questions or something. About farming Riccia, and Glosso. thanks!
untitled
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only growing glosso, so I'll try and answer your questions:
1) You don't use that grid. Glosso has roots and will root itself in the gravel, unlike riccia which is a floating plant.
2) That depends on your lights. If your lights are strong enough the glosso will creep over the substrate and will not reach even inch. However, if your lights are not strong enough the plant will start growing vertically towards the light and will not look that nice.
Although I just said that the plant grows very low, once your substrate has been covered by the glosso, it will start growing on top of itself which means that the bit of plant below will be deprived of light and will start growing up, so pruning is necessary at that point.
3) Loaches (and other bottom dwellers) might be a problem when the glosso is newly planted and have not had the chance to root itself sufficiently, as they might uproot it and it will float. However, if you plant it correctly they will not be a problem. Glosso has quite long roots, so once it has rooted itself it's going to be alright.

Although I have never grown riccia, farming it is really easy. It's a floating plant so just take a bit and float it and it will grow.

Hope this helps.
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will surely give it a try. thanks!
Do you think they need fertilizer? If not I will just give them bright light.
untitled
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without CO2 it will grow rather slow, but with CO2 it goes crazy and grows very fast. Substrate fertiliser also helps a lot. Substrate fertiliser will help a lot too for glosso. If the question was about riccia as well then substrate fertilisers are not important as they don't have roots...
w5yw5y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm... I see, how about if I use the CO2 substitute. the liquid carbon to help the growth? heheh
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

w5yw5y wrote:
hm... I see, how about if I use the CO2 substitute. the liquid carbon to help the growth? heheh

If you were planning to use Flourish Excel, it would be possible as a CO2 supplement as well, but if you plan to use it in a 50g, it will definitely get expensive in the long run, so it's not exactly the most economical way to get CO2 into the tank.

A pressurized CO2 system might be your best bet
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: