Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Some fish to avoid in a community tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.10(Thu)1:17    Post subject: Some fish to avoid in a community tank Reply with quote

Hey guys I got this book today called; all about tropical fish keeping (by steve winsor.

In the book it said ideal & some to avoid in a community tank

Good: Neon tetras, Blackwiddow tetras, zebra danio, platy & swordtails, three spot or blue gourami (too big to add 4 at a time), golden barbs, cherry barbs, Corydoras, small pleco catfish & clown loach

Avoid:

Cichlids: Their natural behavior can cause problems until you are for XP

Guppies: their long fins are a target for any fish that nips at tails and they sometimes have inbred disease problems

Cardinal tetras- they do best in acidic water conditions

Black mollies: They like hard or even brakish water

black sharks: they fight with eat other and suck on the body slime of some spiecies.

sucking loaches: they come with allot of bad habbits including eating the scales of other fish.

do you guys agree/ disagree with this book.

The book did not say what tank size they should be in. it just said ideal fish for a community
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.10(Thu)5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily agree.. It really depends on what kind of community tank you are going for, and what size your going to have.

Like I plan on having a couple of cichlids (blue rams) in my community tank, and they are fine, given that I have the right water parameters. As well, angels are cichlids and many people have them in those set ups..

Does it mention anything about what tank size you should have for some of these fish? Things like 3-spot gouramis can get large, and I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 30 gallon.. I don't know the lists kinda give a false sense that all the fish in the "good community fish" list can go together .

I could go on about the other things, but I just woke up.. lol.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no easy answer when it comes to community tanks. Every fish has his/her own unique personality. There are a few stories on forums around the net of community tanks that were years old suddenly falling apart. I guess an easy add to that list is piranhas. Razz A lot of piranha keepers have a pleco or two in with their fish and are successful, but mine didn't last 12 hours. Crying or Very sad

Little dorks are starting to fight amonst themselves, too.

55g:
3 x Silvertip Tetra 1" (?)
2 x Red Bellied Piranha 4"
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

when in doubt do some research about which fish live together in nature... take the large predators out of the equation and the rest should live happily to gether in a community...

my 2 cents
Kane
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree somewhat, indeed! I've kept black widows before... EVIL BITCH GODDESS'!
But, certainly, it depends on what type of community tank you want!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oscar916
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)23:10    Post subject: Re: Some fish to avoid in a community tank Reply with quote

marto wrote:

Avoid:

Cichlids: Their natural behavior can cause problems until you are for XP

black sharks: they fight with eat other and suck on the body slime of some spiecies.

I disagree with both of these. Angelfish can be included in the cichlids category and they don't have any behavior problems. Infact, sometimes they are the ones which get teased!
And bala sharks should do fine unless they are too large, in that case, any fish thats way too big will try to bully or eat the smaller ones.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelfish can be bad if they breed in a community, if tankmates are small enough to fit in there mouths...the list goes on Wink

bala sharks get big. they are tankbusters, really not suited for most aquariums.
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, it actually says "Black sharks" which are indeed huge, aggressive fish.
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

the book ment red tailed sharks. they are teretorial & they don't like others on the bottom
Oscar916
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I agree with that. However, I won't put them in the "aggressive" category but I will say that they are semi-agressive like tiger barbs are. I had one once, and it would chase my fish just like chinese algae eaters do.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: