Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Mandarin that's actually eating frozen food
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I'm saying FloridaBoy. When I see for myself what the books and what different sites are talking about, I'll believe it. Just as an example, I've had three Hippo Tangs since my tank started up (all at different times). The first one, no matter what I did, refused to eat. It got hole in head from this and died. The second one I got was eating very well but was very aggressive so I had to sell him. The third one did the same thing the first one did. Now, because of my bad luck with them, I am avoiding them at all costs. I've learned that they can be finicky eaters, aggressive, and are susceptible to diseases. Keep in mind I was feeding these tangs the same thing I was feeding the other tang also. I put seaweed in once a week (which the second one always had) along with what I'm feeding them now. You're right about a couple of things though, I probably will go out and buy another one if this one should die but that's only because one fish cannot confirm records. I need something to be proven to me more than once before I believe it. If this first one dies on me soon and then the second dies early, then fine, I'll believe it. If this first one is doing well and dies like 2 or 3 years after I got her, then I've got my own experience to rely on. You were also right about me encouraging people to go out and buy them. For that, I apologize. I admit they aren't easy fish to keep, but getting the fish to actually eat something made me feel good. I felt good because I knew that not too many people could teach mandarins how to eat. Leave me with my confidence and opinions for now. I will inform you when something happens to this fish.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I am sorry, but I am truly appalled at your attitude that one fish cannot confirm a tank's health. Yes, you might one day find a mandarinfish that will get by on frozen food, but how many will die beforehand? What you are doing may be seen by you as scientific, but the information is already largely out there. True, take all reports with a grain of salt, but when I read that triggers should not be kept in reef tanks, that does not mean that I continually try different corals or different triggers to prove the records wrong.

What you are doing, unfortunately, is creating a market for these fish that are notorious for doing poor in captivity. Why not go after Moorish Idols next? They will suffer the same fate; you buy one, try with it, it dies, you return to the store and buy another. And every time you purchase another fish, that creates more want for the store to order more, hence pressure on wholesalers to -get- more, and the catchers to obtain more. The problem won't be solved by just one person, but a decrease by one person can save many lives.

However, you seem to think that FloridaBoy and I are part of that "anti-mandarin" majority who think you can do no right. This is not true. However, I hold little tolerance for people who believe that the 'next fish' they can buy of the species will survive, even if ten have died prior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, trigger wise in a coral tank I would never do. I would never mix anything that I knew wouldn't mix well together. Also, the mandarinfish is not a "hands-off" fish. They might be hard to care for, but they are very possible to take care of whereas the Moorish Idol is a "hands-off" fish. That's why I would never get those. On every fish site, I see fish difficulties going from easy, to medium, to difficult, and to experts only. The Moorish Idol, on all sites, is considered an experts only fish. The Mandarin, on the other hand, is mostly under the difficulty medium and few places difficult. Also, I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong. I'm not trying to do anything like that. I want my own information to go by. I can't just use information off the internet and from books. If I did that, then what's the point of a tank? Maybe 30% of a reason I have my tank is for decoration. The other 70% is study. I study a fishs' movements, its behaviour around other fish, coral, and invertebrates, what the fish eats, etc... If someone wanted to become a marine biologist, are you willing to say now that because we have plenty of information on them that now all a person can do is follow that information? Those biologists would be out of jobs by now. Also, they aren't only studying fish in the ocean, they also catch them and put them in a tank to study.

Again, I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong. I just prefer to get my own inpact on something, rather than use other people's information. Since I got my tank two years ago, I have sat in front of my tank for hours at a time. I've even sat in front of my friends tanks for hours at a time. I've written whatever I saw that could help me in the future and now I'm going to continue. I've written information on tangs, angels, butterflies, basslets, clowns, damsels, dartfish, wrasses, etc... It's time for me to learn about the dragonets. One dragonet is all I need to learn whatever I can about them. Like I said before, leave me with my opinions and confidence.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have no problem learning from the experiences of other. In fact, I seek out other opinions even after I have formed my own. Having a 2nd opinion is critical to making good decisions and not overlooking something.

When you post on a forum anywhere on the internet, you are asking for other opinions. That is why we are here. In fact, we have an obligation to the reader to post our opinions when we disagree with something you say. Many people read and never post. It is for their benefit that we make comments about situations that are clearly not the recommended course of action.

The Mandarin Goby has been proven extremely difficult to keep by the most experienced aquarists in the world. To ignore these findings supports the distribution of a species which should not be caught to begin with. You also encourage the LFS to buy even more of this fish for other hobbyists to purchase. You not only endanger the life of this single fish, but the lives of every animal in your aquarium.

Sometimes I wonder if this hobby needs serious regulation.
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I wanted to do in this post was write that I got a mandarin since the incident and I managed to get her eating. I said that. I'm not here to argue anymore. It's enough. There's no need for anymore of these stupid arguments. You all like to do things one way, I like to do things another way. Leave it at that.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has been an honest exchange of opinions, but If anyone has any further questions they can start a new thread. I agree it seems that enough has been said.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: