Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Mandarin that's actually eating frozen food
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)18:14    Post subject: A Mandarin that's actually eating frozen food Reply with quote

I got a Green Mandarin on Sunday. I chose it because of how much she was pecking at the rocks for food. I asked the pet store do feed it frozen brine shrimp because I wanted to get her and I know that she's hard to take care of and that the majority of these guys don't learn how to accept offered food in the aquarium. The fish didn't take the food but still because she was pecking like crazy at the rocks, I knew she was eating something and since I have over 80 pounds of rocks, I decided to get her. I offered her more brine shrimp when I brought her home and again, she didn't take it, she just kept on pecking at the rocks. I figured that since she pecks at the rocks and doesn't make much of an effort to go after the food to put some of the frozen shrimp into some of the rocks. I have no idea whether she ate it or not but just as I was feeding her a few minutes ago, I noticed a piece of shrimp stuck in some algae and I saw her eat it and she didn't spit it out. Later, she went for another piece stuck attached to another rock. I taught her how to eat frozen food. She's the first fish I have in there since the whole thing with the clam. I'm starting off with a nice new beginning in my tank.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is no real nutritional value to frozen brine.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to move it aover to bloodworms if at all possible. I know some one has done that with several mandarins all at once by raising brine shrimp and feeding them on bloodworms.

good luck with your mandarin

andrew
2 winged demons
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bloodworms are kind of gross though. That and I don't like feeding my fish live foods or dead animals. I prefer to give them flakes and formulas. She's also lately started to eat some color bits and also a bit of the algae around my tank. It's also still picking at the rocks like it has been for the past while.
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is now eating spirulia and formula 1.
GothicAvatar96
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm it seems you lucked out with this particular specimen. But I'm curious what's the state of its abdominal area? Is it concaved at all or does it look like hes full after a meal?
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's nice and fat all around. He's also swimming properly and breathing properly. You're right, I lucked out. I just chose the one that was pecking at the rocks the most.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets talk about luck in a year or so. I wish you all the best with this fish. However, the species in general has no business being offered for sale in the marine hobby. Over a perior of 6 months to a year, even for individuals which are eating well, they very rarely survive. We simply can not meet their dietary requirements in an aquarium.

The real issue is going to be when the fish begins to weaken and its immunity system starts to decline. Then it catches the disease of the week and you are in a fix to figure out how to medicate an aquarium full of live rock. You will have a difficult time removing the fish due to the live rock, and will be at risk of the disease spreading among the entire aquarium population.

Sorry to put a downspin on your newest addition. However, seeing as how you had poor luck the first go around, I would have personally chosen a more conservative approach to fishkeeping to ensure an enjoyable experience in the hobby.

In any case, I hope you are the exception to the rule & good luck!
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to me in the past has nothing to do with what's going on now. I didn't know that when clams kill themselves that they would release poison into the tank. If I recall correctly, you didn't know this either, Mark. You can't compare the past to the present because one thing has nothing to do with the other. If you compared past experiences people had with their tanks to what's going on now in the present, you're just going to think negatively about everyones' tanks.This mandarin is doing very well. She's eating, swimming, and breathing properly. Her colors are perfect and like I said, she's round and fat. This fish will not die on me in the next six months. I am willing to say that I am the exception to this rule. If I didn't have confidence in myself about fishkeeping, then I'd be nowhere right now. Statistics from the internet mean nothing to me. My hands on experience is what I care about and is what I think is the most important thing to fishkeeping.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.27(Sun)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to think the most important thing about fish keeping is the well being of the fish. Unfortunately your temporary success will only encourage others to create more demand for this specialized feeder. Like the Rock Beauty, MANY Mandarins will actually feed on a variety of frozen offerings only to waste away in the long run. That's why the experts you ignore, for instance Fenner, say things like, "These fishes CANNOT LIVE on dried-prepared or frozen/defrosted, or chopped meaty foods." FT&P states,"Occasionally there have been reports of some dragonets adapting to feeding on live baby brine shrimp or frozen and prepared foods, however... the diet still won't provide enough nutrition to sustain the dragonet over the long term.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: