Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
OT:Is Fishkeeping good for your health?
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfbaytf
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)15:10    Post subject: OT:Is Fishkeeping good for your health? Reply with quote

I recently saw an article on improving your health and tips on living longer. One of the tips was to have a pet. Studies have shown having a pet can reduce your blood pressure. Personally I find this hobby very relaxing as well as enjoyable. Watching my fish seems to have a very trance inducing effect and makes me feel more content and relaxed. Fish may not be in the same class as dogs or cats, but I find them to be just as enjoyable.
x3xz4vi3r
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you, but its not just watching the fish, its the sound of the filter, bubler, and the soothing color of the light also. When you look at it that way, they beat dogs and cats by a lot. Fish don't poop on your floor.
sfbaytf
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't think of it that way but you have a point. When I was using the Penguin filters I would get the nice waterfall sound. Since moving to the Aquaclear filter the waterfall effect has since disappeared. If I proceed with my Paludarium tank I may get the waterfall back, depending on how I set it up.
Fish sticks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that many a time, and recently while talking to my aunt (who is a Psychologist) I told her how I keep fish, and she brought this up. I think its a number of factors, anyway, fish have been shown to calm people and reduce stress. Some people ever talk about how they would put their children in front of their tanks and wouldnt have to worry about them for hours.

I got an amusing image though while considering this, of a person who decided to set up a tank for just this reason, only to turn out to be a natural bad fishkeeper. Then they pull their hair out and stress when all the fish get diseases and die, and the water turns green. Id have to say that in that case it causes stress rather then helps it.

(I in no way meant that the fish dying would be amusing, just that is this study based only on people who watch fish? and would the results be the same if it was based mostly on people who kept fish or at least tried?)
scrapbookqueen
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many types of pets throughout the years and my fish are by far my most favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love my dog...when she isn't stinking up the place, sneaking onto my couch in the middle of the night, getting sick on my floor because hubby sneaks her table scraps, or barking at a bird outside! My fish are quiet, interesting, and they don't drool on me! Wink
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, your fish might drool on you, but you'd never now about it Confused . Smile
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: