Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
NEW 10G set up
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skoos123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.08(Tue)23:46    Post subject: NEW 10G set up Reply with quote

I'm thinking about setting up a 10g sw with FO or FOWLR and I'm wondering how you guys would set it up from the substrate to the fish/ fish capable of living in a 10g tank? just what id need to start up brands of things?thanks
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK first of all 30g minimum for begginers. that is recomended. however small aquaria can be acomplished by an inexperienced person if they do a lot of research. OK with a 10g aquarium you will probably want a minimum 1 fish maybe 2 once you get some experience. I recomend a clown goby or citron goby. really small and cool and they come in a range of colours. if you were going for a fowlr tank get 5-10pounds of live rock and a 1-2" bed of substrate should be sufficient. if you get a double 18" reflector with 2 15watt tubes and get 1 actinic and 1 10k daylight you will be able to get low light corals once the tank matures and if you don't want corals that will also help with live rock algae growth(good algae). you will need the entire tanks water volume to be pumped at least 6 times per hour 8 is good. so that would be an 80 gallon per hour power head. also a small hob filter is always good for removing ditrus.

I recomend looking at www.nano-reef.com . a site full of nano lovers with lots of photos!

andrew
2 winged demons
juice28
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with above regarding beginning tank sizes. It's definitely possible for a rookie to have a successful marine system in a small tank, but you're going to have to be very careful with your water quality and testing. Where a 100 gallon tank can dilute out any impurity to a certain extent, your tank will have 10 times the concentration! You'll have to read up on methods of maintaining great water quality to reap the benefits of such a small system. Good luck!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: