Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My piranhas - one month later
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nova_C
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)3:35    Post subject: My piranhas - one month later Reply with quote

On Jan. 29, I took some photos of my piranhas for you guys. Here's one again, just so you remember. Smile

I just took two more photos (March 7), so you can see how incredible their growth rate is:

They've gotten very reclusive, so these photos really took some work to get. Enjoy. Smile

55g:
3 x Silvertip Tetra 1" (?)
2 x Red Bellied Piranha 4"
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wreckon its time for freeder fish. whats really good thing to do is make a small mesh type thing which is partialy submerged in the tank. small enough for live bearer fry to fit through but not adult. add 1 or more females and 1 male and you got a mini auto feeder! are those red belly piranhas? they get huge. the vancouver aquarium had a very nice tank with maybe 20-30 of them along with some smaller fish(feeders if they get hungry) they even included a cows skull. looking good,

andrew
2 winged demons
Nova_C
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

No feeders for my babies. Not only are they not very nutritious, you run the risk of parasites and diseases being introduced to your tank. I feed them raw prawns and I plan on adding white fleshed fish from the supermarket in the future.

Yep, they're Red Bellies. They get up to about a foot long, but that should take a few years. Their growth rate slows once they get up to around 6 - 8 inches. Someday when I get a more permanent residence, I want to get a pair of 125g tanks, one for these piranhas and one for a Rhom. Rhoms can grow to over 18 inches long! Very Happy

55g:
3 x Silvertip Tetra 1" (?)
2 x Red Bellied Piranha 4"
aburnzi
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look just like mine, looks about same size too and I've put 2 goldfish in with mine cause I had a lot of nipping on the tales of my littler 1s so I thought I would get some feeders so my babies wouldnt be harmed as much and sucess no nipping but I have a goldfish that only has half of body lmfao.....the only downside of getting goldfish the buggers poo a lot and make a mess of your tank all my goldfish do is circle on the other side of they tank from my piranhas and poo lol and wait to die lol.......
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They've gotten very reclusive

How big is the school? What size tank is it? Do you just feed shrimp or a variety of foods?
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish, they'll come out of the reclusive stage when they put on a bit more size, but it can take as long as a few months. I loved watching mine pack on the size when they were that young
crazyalice
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking P's! Twisted Evil I used to have a small school (6) of them. When I got them they were quarter sized, so I started them on rosy reds and beef heart. I decided to ditch the feeders, and was able to convert them to cichlid sticks and beef heart. They did very well, and grew like crazy. Great job!

Alice
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: