Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fire eel feeding?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skoos123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)19:24    Post subject: fire eel feeding? Reply with quote

I recently bought a 7 inch fire eel in my african cichlid tank. I ahve 5 cichlids and 1 arowana in the tank for now. I can't seem to get my fire eel to eat anything. I tried the blood worms, not interested and brine shrimp although not live but still she was not interested how can I get my fire eel to eat?? it has been 3 days without food.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried feeding at night? Did you do any research on this fish before you bought it? a) it's probably totally stressed out by your africans, and needs totally different water chemistry. b)it's a nocturnal predator, meaning it feeds at night. c) it can take a long time for it to begin to accept prepared foods and live earthworms and blackworms are prefered.
skoos123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research and asked around at different forums and a few people kept cichlids with fire eels succesfully and the water chemistry is relativealy the same but the thing is that the cichlids never bother the fire eel heeither digs below the substrate or stays bethind the heater at the top of the tank. I'm still not sure how to get him to eat I knew they were nocternal and I tried feeding at night but still no succes I'm just out of ideas
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ask the LFS if he was eating normal and was healthy before you bought him?
skoos123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

they had just got them iin for one day but he got the biggest most healthy looking eel and very active.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.08(Tue)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big problem. Proper selection of a fish should be that the fish has been acclimated for several days at the very least in the lfs, especially delicate eels. The biggest also doesn't always mean the best or the healthiest. Fire eels aren't normally very active either, so that may actually have been a sign of a problem as well.

Did you specify that you had african cichlids when you asked around? Fire eels and malawi cichlids do not have the same water requirements. They actually have completely opposite requirements. Fire eels need soft neutral water, while malawis need rock hard alkaline water. You may also be having an issue with a language barrier with the africans and the eel and the eel is feeling threatened and refusing to eat, even at night.
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.08(Tue)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your eel still not eating? If he isn't...I'd suggest taking him back to the LFS...
skoos123
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.08(Tue)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it doesn't look like he is eating. but I did have a few ghost shrimp in the tank when I got him and now I can't seem to find any but then the cichlids also eat them so I'm not sure. I think I will return it and then get another one and put it in a tank W/ some tertras maybe or by itself. I can try him in a 10g tank for awhile that has been cycling waiting for new fish and depending on the gender I wouldnt even have to switch tanks later. as for the aro he is eating very well now and the cichlids are not bothering him soon I'm going to move the cichlids in the 50G and mayube put some tetrras in with the aro or some other fish seeing as my aro is very skittish and wonmt go near any other fish I think it will be alright to put smaller fish in for now.
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you did your research well enough? Fire eel - 10gal? I don't think so... Shocked
Aro with tetra's?! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Say goodbye to the tetras and eel. Sad
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are going to put a brand new, delicate fish into a tank that isn't finished cycling or mature? Plus way to small for the fish? You definitely won't get him to eat that way. They must be comfortable in their surroundings to be able to feed. Otherwise they will starve themselves.

Have you tried the blackworms that I suggested in the beginning of this thread?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: