Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does this sound good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is long term vs. short term.
Welcome to the SW side my friend. The previous writers are giving you good long term advice. A small snowflake will be okay for a while, but it will grow, so you just need to have a plan to move it in a year or two. I once kept a tiny 7 inch specimen in a 29 gal for at least a year or more, and it really didn't grow all that fast. The key is finding one that's really small and make sure it's eating. Another good choice is the Ghost Eel, Uropterygius concolor, these are more peaceful in my experience.
Likewise, one small dwarf lion would be fine for a while (avoid P.Voltans); you just need to remember as these grow they will tax your system... if you can see a 55-90 gal tank coming your way in the next 12 months you should be okay with one of the above. Of course, dedicating your entire system to only one fish could be a mistake if you really want a small community.
To say "The only thing you can keep in a 30 gallon are clowns, gobies, and dwarf angels." is pretty restrictive IMO. I have maintained many other species in smaller tanks; I.e. there are lots of small dottybacks, damsels, chromis, wrasses, hawkfishes, even baby predators like groupers and others can be started in small tanks.
Since you are a beginner, I would suggest no inverts for a year or so. In fact, I would rather see you invest your money in a 10 gal backup/quarantine tank instead of 30 lbs of live rock for a fish system. Just my 2 cents.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

FB, if he decides on a 10 gallon back-up/quarranteen sp?!? tank, what will he need for filtration in it? Will a HOB work for him? Also, w/out live rock, will the protein skimmer and cannister that he is thinking about be fine?

Mike, I'd recommend some green chromis, maybe a group of 3 or 4 for the tank, they are a fun fish to watch, hardy and they school, plus, the won't out grow your 30 gallon... good luck!
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a 220 Gallon tank this summer for my Amazon fish, My Arowana,etc. I will make my 85 gallon salt. So now does this sound good for my needs.
85 Gallon Tank-Salt
1-Snowflake Moray Eel.
1-Lion Fish
1-Pixie Hawkfish
1-Humu Picasso Triggerfish.
I will have Live Rock and live sand.
Filtration is a wet-Dry Trickle powered by Iwaki Pump
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.07(Mon)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good options for filtration are available, the setup you describe sounds fine. After 6 months or so, add a quality protein skimmer for nutrient export and you may be able to reduce the volume of trickle media to a large degree which will lower nitrate production for long term.
I like having redundancy in my systems; nothing wrong with adding a second filtration solution... all pumps can and do fail/break down... also, keep in mind even an 85 gal will be taxed with an adult P.Volitans AND adult SFM; they are both heavy protein feeders and the trigger is no vegetarian either. Please do not underestimate my suggestion for a backup/quarantine tank; essential for your long term success with marines.
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Green Chromis...

Please do not buy this species. They have been proven to not live a natural life span in captivity unless kept in extremely large schools in public aquariums. Generally speaking, you would need to house 30 or more to have a chance at success, and even then a very large aquarium would be necessary. Many hobbyists judge succes by 2 or 3 years, rather than the 8 to 10 years which we should be considering. For the good of the hobby, just choose another fish.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: