Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does this sound good?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)1:29    Post subject: Does this sound good? Reply with quote

I will be making my 30 GallonSW. I have Hard Coral (Fake) To Buffer the water. I have Arag-Alive Sand. My Filtration is an AquaClear 30(150),and a Red Sea Protien SKimmer. I would like to put a Snowflake Moray eel, Bicolor Angel, a Maroon Clown, and Convict tang. Is it overstocked, WHat should I lose, But The one I Plan To Defenitly get is the Moray.
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could keep the tang or the moray in there. They both need a lot of room to swim and grow. The eel needs minimum I'd say 55 gallons to grow and be happy and the tang needs mroe than double the tank you've got now. Also, the clown wouldn't last too long with an eel. It would probably get eaten and the angel also has a chance of getting eaten. I recommend doing more research on your fish because livestock wise, it really doesn't sound like you've done much. It looks like you just saw some pretty pictures of fish on the internet or in books and decided you were going to get them. Do more research and come up with another list. If you want, a 30 gallon is normally good for the clown and angel but avoid the eel and tang.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about just an eel
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea but again, eels need room to grow. The snowflake eel you want could grow upto 3 feet and he's not about to just curl up in the tank. He's going to want to move around and he won't be able to much in a 30 gallon. He won't be a happy eel. I would just stick with the clown and angel or get a bigger tank if you want the eel that badly.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 90 Gallon tank, But thats freshwater, I have an Arowana in it, If anything ever happened to it I would Probably Make it Salt.
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put about 30lbs of live rock in there. Lose the cheap filter the live rock will do the work for you and besides that filter is not good enough for saltwater anyway. You can maybe put 3 small fish in there. It is better to have a larger tank for saltwater to keep water chemistry stable. Check out all the articles on saltwater here to do some research. I would recommend reading the conscientious marine aquarist and checking out other web sites for saltwater fish Like reefcentral.com or wetwebmedia.com. You need to do a lot of research or you will waste a lot of money and time.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this is the new Setup.
Fluval 204,AquaClear150.Red Sea Protien Skimmer.
Live Rock 30LBS, Arag-Alive Sand, Skeleton Coral.
1-LionFish
1-Snowflake Moray Eel.
1-Pixie Hawkfish.
Is this Good
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, if this is still the 30 gallon then no, you can't do that. Get a bigger tank for the eel because otherwise it will be unhappy, get stressed out and die. The only thing you can keep in a 30 gallon are clowns, gobies, and dwarf angels. You cannot keep predators like the fish on your new list in a tank that small. I say go do some research and learn as much as you can before you put anything in. You have to listen to us when we say do research. That doesn't mean ask us questions. If you want to know something then fine ask us but if you aren't listening to us when we say you cannot keep an eel in a 30 gallon then you will fail as a saltwater keeper. I'm not trying to be harsh or rude but this is the truth. I'm 16 years old now. I got my tank 3 years ago and I've been studying fish for the past 6 years. I know what I'm talking about here when I say do research. Read books, visit some internet sites, that book that tdfd recommended is very good. I use that book very often in my studying. Research your fish. When tdfd said put 3 small fish in there, he didn't mean something that grows up to 3 feet in length like an eel.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tank is 48in by 12in by 12 in. is there still no chance
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: