Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SUVs and large truck thoughts and opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaffe
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except they aren't used as trucks, they're used as cars. if you need a truck, you buy a truck, not an SUV.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how or why you assume to know what an SUV is being used for... I'm reading comments from people who assume that : others can't afford driving them, or are too young to possibly afford them, or not enough people are in them while in motion.

How do you know whether the kids are borrowing their parents car or not? How do you know what it's being used for? I became a Mom pretty young, and we owned our own business... I just think too many people make judgments on assumtions.

Are you just hung up on the word SUV?

Last edited by Dawn on 2005.03.16(Wed)10:13; edited 1 time in total
Flyboy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaffe wrote:
Except they aren't used as trucks, they're used as cars. if you need a truck, you buy a truck, not an SUV.

What's the difference if someone is using an SUV instead of a truck if they're getting the same gas mileage and emission effects?

I agree with much that has been said already. The American public will not change their buying habits unless forced to do so. On the whole, we're not educated on the subjects of energy and environment enough to make conscious efforts to incur change.

It will be up the government to impose mandates and regulations on the automakers to increase the gas mileage in SUVs AND pick-ups. The problem is that this most likely won't be done until we're in crisis mode. Not only would it be unpopular with the people, but the auto and oil lobbies in Washington are very powerful. On top of that, there's no concerted government effort to look at alternatives to the gasoline engine.

Another part related to this issue is the potential energy crisis that the world is going to face. 10 years ago or so, it was thought that our oil supply would last about 200 more years. That estimate has gone down to about 70 years. Why? I forget the exact numbers, but in the last 5 years, the oil demand in asia has increased 5 to 10 fold. That part of the reason oil prices are so much higher than they were 5 years ago is not due to OPEC's reduction in production, but demand it higher than anyone anticipated.

Now I consider myself to be semi-educated on this subject and I own 2 SUV's, a Pathfinder and an Explorer. Why? I have 3 kids and we bought the Pathfinder when my second child was born. For what we do, a car wasn't big enough. Both my wife and I dislike mini-vans to an extreme. I wouldn't buy one unless absolutely forced too. The SUV provides protection for my family and allows us to drive safely in certain weather conditions. We bought the second SUV when our third child was born because the Pahtfinder doesn't fit 3 child seats and our other car at the time was dying, so it was replaced instead of the Pathfinder.

As our kids get older and grow out of their child seats, I'll consider replacing one of the SUVs with a car, perhaps even a hybrid car. But SUVs have allowed us to do many things we wouldn't have been able to without one.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this has already been mentioned by Steve earlier but what is the difference between a truck and a car that get the same mileage? many SUV's are exceptionally good on gas considering the plethora of things you can do with them. Who's to say that a person with an SUV driving it around the city through the week isnt using it on the weekend for off road or other activities where a car isnt sensible? Personally coming from a province where we have snow for about half the year a car greatly reduces your ability to do many things in inclement weather. And that isnt just for off roading. Trucks/SUV's have for the most part higher clearance. It is apparent that some of the people here are unaware that people driving vehicles that are hard on the environment do get penalized through their insurance. Where I'm from you actually get an incentive to trade in cars that are over 10 years old because it is assumed that they arent the machine they used to be. Not to mention the fact that when these people fill up at the pumps they are paying dearly for there tool or toy. Wink
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

McP- What state do you live in? The extra environmental charges on insurance can't be on a federal level.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Canadian eh... Smile . In manitoba emissions and projected mileage are a factor in our insurance rates. Even if in the states you guys don't have this it still costs more to drive the average SUV.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, another thing Canada does better.

Insurance co's here in the US have next to nothing to do with emissions and gas usage. The cost is entirely value and risk. Frankly, while I understand that some folks really need the space, I don't have any sympathy about SUVs being more expensive because ultimately, and despite the convenience they provide, purchasing one is a choice.

Anyway, enough beating a rigor mortised horse for me. I definitely don't think SUVs should be outlawed, just that there is lots of work to be done striking the balance.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on that benedictj. my main grievance with people saying SUVs are bad is that these people don't criticize the owners of other gas guzzling vehicles...if you want to look at someone buying something for its prestige what about people who buy say a lambo? those things are worse on gas and can only hold 2 peoplle Wink
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I think the reason SUVs get targeted more often is merely a matter of presence. That is, there are a whole lot more of them on the road.
Nadias_Nana
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.20(Wed)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in California, a big arguement against SUVs is that if you get into an accident with an SUV, you are more likely to die than if you get into an accident with one of those little fiberglass sportscars. But what if you get into an accident and slam into a wall, or go over an overpass? Aren't you a lot more apt to die if you are in a small car or a van, than if you are in an SUV? I don't own an SUV, but I don't think it is right for people to say I shouldn't own one, just because if they are involved in an accident with me, they will sustain more damage to themselves! I think that a law should be passed that the oil companies have to use the technology they have (and they do have it) to increase gasoline mileage, or to use other fuels, and that EVERYONE should have to own an SUV! There would be a lot less fatalities!
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: