Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SUVs and large truck thoughts and opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disagreement with either of the two posts between mine, and thanks, Steve, for the extra information regarding the other types of vehicles--and I'm appreciative of the fact that you acknowledge that your own sport of passion could stand some improvement, as well. I wanted a counterpoint to the implicit suggestion that SUVs and larger trucks represented excess and vehicular gluttony pure and simple without regard to other considerations. I'm wholly for new-vehicle mileage restrictions--have been ever since college as an environmental studies major and certainly earlier as well. And make no mistake about it, there is a huge difference between my piddly Pathfinder and the H2s that are rolling off the production line today. Excess can be sniffed out from across the room...

2la
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one seems to have considered the fundamental point about SUVs.
Doesn't anyone here own automobile mnfr stock?
SUVs are by far the most profitable type of vehicle to produce.
No law against that.
No law against liking them either.
But it should not surprise you that they are pushed so hard and that as a result they are so popular.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that I've noticed is that despite often having room for 6 passengers probably 2/3rds of the ones I see have only one person driving them. Very seldom do you see 4 people(much less 6) in one.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true noname, I've observed the same thing. In a lot of ways I find that SUVs are merely a status symbol. There is a guy who lives on my small side street here in Brooklyn who has a hummer. It is just ridiculous to see it parked here, half of the apartments in the area could barely house it if they were converted into garages. Granted, some folks do need them, but I would argue that most don't. It is simply our piggishness as Americans, everything needs to be bigger, faster and better. And as Steve said, we just need to consume.

Also, I would point out that some of the larger SUVs really stress roads that were hardly designed to handle them. This translates into tax dollars. I honestly can say I don't feel that I should have to pick up the bill for somebody else's need for extravagance or extra space. I think the approach states like Maryland are taking in adding extra taxes for SUVs are appropriate.
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonamethefish wrote:
The thing that I've noticed is that despite often having room for 6 passengers probably 2/3rds of the ones I see have only one person driving them. Very seldom do you see 4 people(much less 6) in one.

Do people with pick-up trucks need to have something loaded in the back all the time before they can drive them?
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van isn't always full... I mean I need to drive to pick the kids up from school. Before the boys are picked up it's just the girls and I. Maybe I should buy another car to drive when I don't need to haul everyone everywhere? Yeah, that's it! Double the bills... Confused
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously not, Dawn, because you put it to good use. Personally, my biggest issue is with the people who have one simply for the sake of having it. Not to offend anyone, but I get really irritated when I see a college kid tooling around in an Explorer, they hardly need it, obviously can't afford it on their own, and generally drive it poorly. It simply becomes a matter of want.

Same goes for the guy here in Brooklyn with the Hummer. There isn't a parking space on the street designed to handle it. The amount of gas the thing must burn driving around the city is probably appauling.

Another thing that bothers me about SUVs is that the IRS actually provides incentives for small business owners and freelance or contract workers to purchase an SUV over a sedan or smaller car. The deduction for a business SUV has a greater percentage than that of a smaller car. It's criminal. The deduction should be a flat rate, especially in light of the staggering oil prices we are facing.

And gas prices. There is an inifinte supply of this stuff and the producing countries have strict quotas on monthly production. With more and more people on the road annually, shouldn't everyone be a bit more consciencous of their contribution to the woes of society? Everyone seems to be more than happy to legislate smoking because it contributes to ill health, but no one wants to address auto emissions and gas consumption with any real strictness, though it is a known fact that they too are slowly killing the environment and causing health problems.

And the auto companies, I personally them blame the most. It is a known fact that they have the technology to make all vehicles more environmentally friendly and fuel efficient, but they don't or won't do it. Why is it that it always takes an act of Congress to make these things happen? In itself, it is a pretty harsh statement against libertarian philospophy.

Obviously, I don't think anyone is saying that SUVs should be outlawed, they do serve a legitimate purpose. I do think however that we all need to take a long, hard look at the drawbacks and do something about them, not just maintian apathy or hide our behaviour behind our 'rights'.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

benedictj wrote:
Another thing that bothers me about SUVs is that the IRS actually provides incentives for small business owners and freelance or contract workers to purchase an SUV over a sedan or smaller car. The deduction for a business SUV has a greater percentage than that of a smaller car. It's criminal. The deduction should be a flat rate, especially in light of the staggering oil prices we are facing.

LOL! I bet you didn
Chaffe
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A SUV is not a van, lorry or pick up. Don't compare apples to pears. If you don't have to drive off road, ford rivers, cross deserts... you can find a better alternative to a SUV for all business needs.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.16(Wed)0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many vans and SUVs are built on a truck frame. Licensed as trucks and get the same mileage as trucks. They are big trucks. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: