Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How is this for a line up of tank buddies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)22:17    Post subject: How is this for a line up of tank buddies? Reply with quote

I am buying a Salt water setup from a friend this month. He has had it up and running well for the past year and a half. He has a blue Damsel, a Longmoore Blenny and a Black Percula Clown. Also plenty of live rock and crushed coral a bubble tip anename and a purple tip anenome.

I am going to add an orange and a yellow percula Clown, a Yellow tang, Lion Fish (the small ones) and either a Flame Angel or a bi-color angel. How does this sound? Too much? I really want the lion fish and the tang. He also has a great Fluval canister filter and the power head, and protein skimmer. Thanks
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowing the size of the tank and the filtration setup might help.....
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us the size of the tank. If its been set up a year and a half your friend may have it at its stocking limits already. Also with already having an establised clown fish it might be a mistake adding 2 more, 3 clowns in a tank could end up with big fighting in the tank. Clowns are great but if already in the tank can be very territorial over there spot especially toward other clowns.

You want to add a tang thats where the size of the tank really counts. Some of the smaller species of tang would do good in a 55 at the minimum where most need a 75 gallon or bigger. The lion even if a dwarf lion still get 6-8 inches in length and can still make a meal out of what you have. They can eat anything they can fit in there mouth, and a 3 inch fish like a clown or damsel can still easily become lunch. You didn't mention but are there inverts in the tank? Snails. crabs, shrimp? If so they can even become a meal for any lion. They are great looking fish and may seem to move slow but watch them eat sometime, there food dissapears faster then you can blink.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. The tank is a 55 gallon tank. The clown has only been in the tank for a month or so. The only other 2 fish in there is a longmoore blenny and a blue damsel. The filtration is a Fluval caqnister filter. (I forget what size but it is big) There are no crabs or anything in the tank because a previous fish he had ate his fiddler crab. Thanks for replies.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

has the tank cycled? also a 55 is fine for some tangs such as yellow tangs. what lighting do you have? how many watts? also if you still want the loin fish you will have to remove the gobie and the damsel. basicaly there little snacks with fins. if you don't get a lionfish you can keep those guys and get some inverts.
2 winged demons
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)20:32    Post subject: Re: How is this for a line up of tank buddies? Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
has the tank cycled?

adamprice271 wrote:
He has had it up and running well for the past year and a half.

Nuff said.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sharksgalore. I know that his light hangs from above and has 1 50/50 bulb and the daylight bulb and is a step lower than the metal halide. I'll get all details tommorow.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.09(Wed)2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could go with the yellow tang. There one of 3 tangs that can do well in a 55 yellows, purple, and koles. Anything else I would reccomend 75 and up. If you want to keep your other smaller fish I would skip on the lion and maby consider someting else. If your staying fish only you could go with a small angel of some type that would make a nice addition.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.09(Wed)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I may leave the Lion out of this one. He looks so awesome though at the store I might have to get him. But we'll see. I most likely will leave him out and get a flame angel. Is it true that you can't keep more than one angel in a tank? Why? I have seen 2 in the same tank at the store and they seem to do great together. Thanks. I want a flame angel and a Bi-color angel.
spkspk

PostPosted: 2003.04.13(Sun)12:58    Post subject: angels Reply with quote

You can have multiple angels in your tank if you add them at the same time. What you see in the fish store is a temporary condition where the population changes so much and there are too few hiding places, for any particular fish to become territorial. Also, you can add a dwarf angel to a tank with established non-dwarf angels (and vice versa), although frankly, your tank cannot support anything but the dwarfs (flame, coral beauty, etc.), and not many at that. When buying a tang, get one that has a healthy appetite
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: