Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Just Thinking...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)21:54    Post subject: Just Thinking... Reply with quote

About converting a ten gallon tank over to saltwater, could I keep three or four Ocellaris Clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris) in there by themselves? Also would live sand be required also?

I have never had a marine tank so please don't think of me as insane if I would be overstocking my tank with these fish.
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, would I need a protein skimmer? and What exactly does it do?

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest if you could go a little bigger in the tank size this will help. I've seen three clowns in a 12 gal tank. Live sand and some live rock will do great. As far as a protein skimmer goes, depends if you are going to add coral and inverts. You don't need anemomes to keep clowns. and you will need to up your light for the tank if you do. I'll simply say a protein skimmer removes "waste' that is toxic to corals and inverts before it builds up in the tank. If you do not plan on having these then a skimmer will not be needed.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with percula clownfish they look the same and grow to a smaller size.

You could put a nice mated pair of percula's in a 10 gallon. A third might get beat up by the pair.

Some dead coral or live rock and an agronite sand base (not live sand) would be nice.

Filtration--- you could go with say an Aquaclear 150

Most protien skimmers are too large for a 10 gallon. If you do water changes every other week you should be fine.

Lighting- A 20W NO would work. Since there are no corals or anenomes all you need is standard lighting.

If you see any real algae problems you could stick in a hermit or two and a few snails.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocellarises can get 4 inches long. I should know; I've raised thousands of the little guys.
One thing's for sure, though; they won't hit three inches in a ten-gallon tank. In fact, unless you're prepared to go to ridiculous lengths to maintain them, they won't thrive. You may get them to survive, but thrive? No way.

By the way, a lot of people think that these are beginner's fish, but that's not true. Tank-raised ones are certainly easier to keep than wild-caught ones, but they're still pretty sensitive.

Do you know the real differences between freshwater & saltwater aquaria? Once you understand the primary differences, you'll understand why trying to put 4 clownfish, or even 2, in a ten-gallon tank is not a good idea.

Okay, let's review the main differences:

-- Saltwater holds less oxygen than freshwater.
-- The saltwater fishes we keep in our tanks come from reef areas where the water is temporarily supersaturated with oxygen by the pounding surf.
Fish from farms are reared under artificial conditions which also result in high saturation.
>>>Can you see the problem here? Reeffishes need more oxygen than freshwater fishes, but seawater holds less of it. In an aquarium,this is a big problem.
NEXT:
-- The higher the pH, the more toxic ammonia is, for it is free ammonia instead of the ammonium found at lower pH.
-- The pH of saltwater is typically 8.2-8.4. The pH of freshwater is typically much lower.
-- The fishes of the ocean have never had to deal with ammonia buildup or oxygen depletion in their millions of years of evolution. They're just not built to handle it.
-- Due to the lower amount of free oxygen available, the reactions which take place in saltwater tend to be slower than those found in freshwater.
>>>SO, now we have a much more slowly-cycling system full of creatures which can't handle it as well as we'd like, yet they have to and for longer then we, or they, would like. Even worse, the ammonia is now much more toxic than what you're used to as a freshwater fishkeeper.
NEXT:
Ten-gallon tanks are particularly problematic in one way: The equipment needed to maintain suitable water parameters tends to produce too much circulation for a small tank, and the fish have to expend their energy just fighting the current all the time. Cutting back the current greatly reduces the efficiency of the system, though, so you're stuck with a big problem.

It CAN be done, but the extra hassle just isn't worth it. If you want Clownfish, get a 30 gallon tank and do the job right.

If you decide that you just HAVE to make a ten-gallon salwater tank, then stay away from clownfish. Get gobies instead, or blennies. Not the freeswimming blennies, but the rockhopping types. Those little guys are nearly indestructable, and you get them cheap or even free if you catch them at the beach. LOTS of personality. Fun fish.
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

alrighty guys, thats what I needed to know. Just for future knowledge, if I put an airstone and pump on the 30 gallon would that substitute for lack of O2 in the water? also would a trio of clownfish do good in a gallon instead because I have one of those that I could get out of storage if it would work, if not ill save up for the 30 or maybe just go straight to a 55gallon. I hate cramping fish it just isn't my style ya know.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I get it.
You're yanking our chains.
heheh, you had me going there...three in one gallon..heheh..
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.08(Tue)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Question Confused
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.09(Wed)11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharksgalore
Quote:
also would a trio of clownfish do good in a gallon instead

I think just a little typo.

I'm wondering why you want to go with three instead of two. I don't really have any personal experience, as I only own one, but I always hear that you should got with one or a mated pair. Clownfish can get pretty territorial, and adding the third may present a problem.
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.09(Wed)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, thats supposed to be 20 gallons, and I wanted three to make a pair, then return the unmated one to the LFS. Unless clowns don't care who they mate with then ill just get one male and one female and that would be it except for maybe 2-3 turbo snails
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: