Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting advice wanted
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.02(Wed)16:18    Post subject: Lighting advice wanted Reply with quote

As I said in my other thread, I'm getting a new tank. I'm going with the 36Lx12Hx16W. It works out to be 30 gallons. I want to have a GBTA or 2.
Light wise, PC looks like it's the best bang for the buck. These are the 2 that I'm considering.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=pc-al36096 which works out to be 3.2 watts per gallon
or
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=pc-ll36962 which works out to be 6.4 watts per gallon.
Is 6.4 w/g overkill? Providing everything else is in check, will an anenome thrive with lights like that? Is Coralife a decent brand? With maroon clowns, a couple of scarlet legged hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp, are lunar lights of any benefit?
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.02(Wed)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the 2x96, and no that isn't to much for a saltwater tank. Don't skimp on the lights, you may decide to put more light loving corals in there at some point. The GBTA will do nicely under that light.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.02(Wed)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the 10000K and Actinic bulbs provide the proper spectrum coverage?
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will give it a nice coloration.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure you understand how often those tubes will need to be replaced.
Effective lighting from tubes can quickly drop off after several months.
Here's more info that may help you:
http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_qa.htm
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.08(Tue)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link FloridaBoy, I am aware of the 6 month life cycle of these bulbs.
One last question, about brand. Coralife uses the SQ style bulbs, which is square pin. There seems to be several brands of SQ pins in the 96W 36" size.
I was at my LFS store and the owner was telling me to stay away from Coralife. His reasoning was that you could only use their bulbs, but I have seen this to be untrue, at least at JL Aquatics.
Or am I missing something. He tried to sell me one of his fixtures. It would end up being about $75 more by the time all is said and done(shiping and taxes) to get a different brand from him. Was he just trying to make the sale?
Am I in for trouble by going with coralife?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: