Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
lightly planted 10g + crowntail bettas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

For algae eaters for your tank I would agree with the suggestion of oto cats.

But if you are set on having a pleco, a bristlenose would probably be best. If you can't get a bristlenose, a clown pleco or rubbernose would stay small enough. Provided you keep up on water changes and have very good filtration. By the way what are you using for a filter?
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.04(Fri)4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks great, and very clean! A lot of people shy away from blue gravel and decorations like that, but with colorful bettas, all of your color works--very well! Like a colorful little fantasy land. It reminds me a little bit of this tank in the Tank of the Month section: http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0104.php (the bottom one with the blue gravel) or this one: http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0309d.php because of the coloring. You'll have a lot of fun experimenting with your decorating with such beautiful fish. Unlike some other colorful fish, you can keep plants with these bettas because they shouldn't dig them up, and so you'll have endless decorating options.

As far as some algae eaters becoming lazy, I think it's more a practical matter of them becoming too big and heavy to be able to sit on leaves and clean them. When I read that, it made complete sense. Even some snails can't sit on leaves due to their size, without toppling the plant over--see the Timber! video in the Videos section here (click the "Special" button on the left). I'm inclined to think that that's why otos are "better" algae eaters in the long run, since they stay so small. So while these fish can become inefficient, their reputation isn't exactly "fair". Smile I have heard of a pleco, however, that stays very small, called a "pitbull pleco". You can search the forums for the post someone wrote about it. Laskey
grae
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the blue pebbles as well! and is that a spongebob pineapple house? cute!
cichlid_dude
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have all four bettas in the same tank without any dividers?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bettas are females so they are not aggresive to one another and can be ketp in groups or with 1 male as long as there are enough females.

andrew
2 winged demons
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.14(Mon)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
the bettas are females so they are not aggresive to one another and can be ketp in groups or with 1 male as long as there are enough females.

andrew

Actually, this isn't entirely true. Many times females will be even more agressive towards other females and even the males themselves. It really depends and mixing bettas together should be done extremely carefully regardless of sex.
cichlid_dude
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:

andrew
there are 4 bettas, 2 male and 2 female, I was just wondering if all 4 were in the tank together.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to get a small piece of drift wood...
Jay NYC
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool....I saw some spongebob ornaments in the lfs and thought about doing a theme in my 15 gallon, but I never got around to it.

I would stay away from the raphaels if I were you. My friend has striped ones in his 125 and they get huge. The spotted ones may be smaller but if their personality is the same it would probably go bonkers in such a bright tank. They like the night time, and stay hidden for most of the day.

A group of cories and/or otto's are probably better suited for your tank, but even then you'll need to add more hiding places....With scavengers and algae-eaters you'll actually get to see them more if you set up a lot of hiding places. If they feel secure throughout the whole tank, they're more likely to stay active in the day-time hours. The way you're set up now they'd probably stay in the pineapple all day.

Good Luck...nice tank
Master_Yoda
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's beautiful set up, nice and clean. I'm not really one for coloured gravol but they compliment the fish well. I like more natural looking tanks more tho =)
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: