Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bubba to be saved.
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.02(Wed)8:31    Post subject: Bubba to be saved. Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/02/bubba.lobster.ap/index.html

It appears that the company that caught the lobster is being kind enough to dedicate it to a museum to live out the rest of it's life. That's good to hear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.02(Wed)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but lobster tails are really good.

I'm glad they put him in a museum. Now, he can be part of the creepy "Ripley's Belive it or Not" show that I watch when I have absolutely nothing else to do. Joy!

Byez!! Very Happy
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking was that the old guy was estimated over 50. Pretty good for a lobster. Figured he had earned his right to live an easy life instead of being dinner.

I wish he would have survived the transfer.

Personally I can't stand lobster to eat. Though I don't eat bottom, filter, or deterius anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love lobster, but the older they get the tougher and drier the meat is. I wouldn't want to eat a 50 year old lobster. Let him live the rest of it and let's see how long they truely live.
Big Rob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this morning on a local radio show that after Bubba was moved several times, got to his final home..............HE DIED!!!
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, irons mentioned it in his post... poor, dead bob...

lobster is pretty nasty... same phylum (arthropoda, I think...) as the cockroach... both basically eat garbage... Smile
Big Rob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillageIdiot wrote:

Embarassed Guess I should have followed the thread a little better. Embarassed
Danco
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he died. In my teenage years I have handeled countless thousands of pounds of lobster from 100lbs to 700lbs a day. it was my family bussness, lobster fishing for a 5 years. I have eaten part of a 14lb lobster it wasent tough it was fine. His claws are still on my dads wall. Once I ate 15 tails for lunch. later that year I got sick of eating lobster. still don't care for them today 15 years later. Anyway back to my point lobster can live out of water for 24 72hs and more depending on temputure and humidity. a wet burlap bag or newspaper with ice on top in a cooler or a walk in fridge a week would not surprise me. they go into hybernation at low temps.
In a dirty water tank like restraunts or food fish stores, they live months without food, if you ever ate one where the meat is shrunken from the size of the shell he was in a tank for a month or more. tough lobster has been overcooked. milky or pastey lobster meat is from a leatherback or softshell lobster. lobsters that big are hard to keep in one piece there claws fall off from there own whieght. Then the claws grow back in about six months.

Also bubba is a male lobster (females have wide tails to protect the eggs).

Back in the 60s my dad caught a 40+lb leatherback that fell apart on deck.

If bubba is dead it was cause someone killed him for dinner.
Quod edero spinem
Popoculus nautus sum
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.04(Fri)21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillageIdiot wrote:

lobster is pretty nasty... same phylum (arthropoda, I think...) as the cockroach... both basically eat garbage... Smile

Of course, therein lies part of the problem. Wink What you feed them!

My friends always give me the worst looks when I tell them flat out if the end of the world comes and all human civilization falls apart, and we are reduced to our basic hunter-gatherer society again, I'm set on meat. I have six cages of mice, and two 1 gallon tubs of mealworms. They all eat well, because the animals that eat them now I want to be healthy. No sense in feeding my snake a poorly fed mouse, now, is there! Wink

I realize this is way off topic, but had to chime in. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: