Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Look into my eyes...(now with fry photos)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.01(Tue)20:26    Post subject: Look into my eyes...(now with fry photos) Reply with quote

Well, its been 5 months and the Nothobranchius kafuensis eggs were about ready to hatch. I failed the first batch, but due to the nature of these eggs/the fact that I have another bag I've got backup available.

Placed into the water this egg likely hatched in a few hours.

Last edited by nonamethefish on 2005.03.28(Mon)12:32; edited 2 times in total
Craig
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.01(Tue)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I'm going to have to find out what a kafuensis is...

Does this sound like a line? "Your eyes are like kafuensis eggs shimmering in an aquarium at sunset."

added: Those are some pretty cool looking fish!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.01(Tue)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed with the killi fishes ability to lay eggs on land and have them hatch. very cool. we will definatly need some growth shots!

andrwe
2 winged demons
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.04(Fri)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! LOL maybe in a few months I'll have kafuensis with metallic scales shimmering in one of my tanks Smile

Slackra: It indeed is amazing that the eggs can survive for so long. Also seems to teach patience in the most evil way LOL I'll get some growth shots when I get some fry to grow.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a little over a week since I dumped the peat lumps into a container and then submerged the container into the tank. Fry survival has ben a bit poor but considering that I didn't get anyone past day 3 last time I consider myself fortunate. This time I think the scoundrel could have been velvet or some other disease. Lost fry 1 by one for a few days before I tried adding salt which seems to have stopped this. Right now 2 little guys remain. One is larger than the other so I'm hoping that they will become a pair.

The fry started off just big enough for BBS. Now they are around the size of rice grains.

Note the orangey bellies which shows the fry have eaten some BBS. AFter feeding for some time the bellies swell up and are bright orange-looks like the little buggers have swallowed a balloon.
Magnus
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, noname! Please keep us updated as they mature. I hope they do grow into a pair, and procreate. I call first dibs on their first batch.

Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't count them chickens before they hatch! LOL

Give them around 3 months and providing I've done everything well then I'll be able to start bagging eggs. I'll definetly be posting update shots Smile
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that BBS has to go somewhere! These guys are growing at a rapid pace.

Based on the date of posting these photos this is an approximate 1.5-2 week difference.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

noname. maybe you can help me with something. in my old 20g planted I once baught 3 killifish not sure what species. Anyway after 1 night they had proceded to rip the fins off of several fish. I took them back to the shop. anyway soon after their departure I noticed an amazingly small fish in my tank hiding in the plants around my amazon sword. I caught him and took a look at him inside a plastic container. he was a mini replica of his parents. I offered him some crushed up flake food and he ate it. anyways he grew and grew to an adult and stay very skitish and didn't bother a soul. he died when he jumped out of the tank.

I am just confused how he would have been able to survive and get food. your secound picture of the fry looks just like he did when I first caught him and got a look at him. any idea what species he was?

anyways noname good luck with your little killis. make sure to post some pics when they are all grown up. also could you post some pics of the entire breeding/raising setup?

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fry likely found microrganisms amongst the plants and was able ot hide from the adults for long enough to grow too big to big considered food. Happens quite a bit if you don't have any fish serious about caviar or babies.

I couldn't begin to guess the species but since you had adults a description would be nice. I know the most commonly sold killie(but not exactly the best beginners) would be Aplocheilus lineatus-the Golden wonder killie. I've seen them at Petco and a single one at Walmart. Pretty much any LFS can order them in now. I've seen Aplocheilus panchax at an LFS on the occasion-since it stays smaller(but is less colorful) it would be nice if it was more mainstay. I remember my lineatus fry quickly taking on a torpedo shape even when very small. Nothos are more robust fish.

Many species of killifish-especially males-can be aggresive. Sometimes it is simply trying to eat other fish or get food...other times it is actual aggresion. Also, some species may be just fine in a community but will fight their own species. Right now the fry avoid each other and will flare there gills and try to chase off the other should they meet. Didn't notice this in the lineatus until they startd sexing out. I know a few species the fry will actually try to kill/eat eachother even after just hatched. Only so much room in a temporary pool! On the other end of the spectrum are the lampeyes where even the adults are for the most part peaceful and school together except for harmless sparring among the males.

I've taken some photos of the setup but haven't uploaded them yet. Will do on that!
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: