Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Making your own plastic plants?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksls
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.01(Tue)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm. I am kinda confused! Confused What I'm getting is that as long as I use aquarium silicone I should be okay, and to make sure that there is or has never been any glue used at all on the fake plants. I think I will test them out on my feeder fish before moving them into the big tank with my babies!!! lol Thanks a lot everyone for you input.
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.01(Tue)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean that you don't leave any gobs or strings. Fish will attack them and try to eat them, I'd know. I wasn't careful with making my first artificial plant with silicone (I've already thrown it away) And my fish ate a tiny gob and died. I was only trying to be helpful! I didn't want what happened to my fish to happen to theirs. Geeeze !
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.01(Tue)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatwhite, calm down and take a few chill pills, please. Had you stated your concerns in your first post, rather than making up data or crying out that the sky is falling, this misunderstanding could have been avoided.

Since I have seen and read good DIY posts about people making everything from tanks to sumps to wet-dry filters, I doubt that making plants would be difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.02(Wed)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving globs is just being sloppy and has nothing to do with silicone being dangerous chemically Wink Thats what I thought you were referring to in your previous vague posts. Whether its silicone or anything else left dangling out there a fish can choke on it...that doesn't mean substance x,y or z is unsafe for aquarium use.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.02(Wed)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Stolen from Petfish.net*

You could cut a green garbage bag into strips and then "root" these in the tank.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.04(Fri)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting idea, noname!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ksls
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.05(Sat)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut a garbage bag into strips!! Now that sounds neat! Smile
ksls
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.08(Tue)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay everyone, just a little update about plant making! I went to the dollar store, YES the doller store and I bought some fake plants at $1 a piece. I then purchased some tiny clay pots at 25 cents a piece at the craft store. With my marine silicone I went crazy! lol I used some leftover gravel that I had and placed the plants in the pot, placed some silicone and then some gravel and then MORE silicone. I let them dry for 3 days.( I made about a dozen of them) Since I did not want to kill my precious babies Wink , I decided to decorate one of the feeder tanks! I has been roughly a week and everything is okay! I think I will wait a bit longer before transferring the planted pots into my 60 gallon. How long do you think I should wait? My husband keeps saying that the feeders might be building up toxins? So we have decided to Not feed them to ours fish quite yet. How will I know when or if the plants are safe for our bigger tank?
blake
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.08(Tue)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a week to a week and a half would be good not realy shure though never done this myself
LoveTigerOscars
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great idea, could you post some pictures please?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: