Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Making your own plastic plants?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksls
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)9:57    Post subject: Making your own plastic plants? Reply with quote

I have an undergravel filter system, therefor I do not have real plants as I have been told that they won't survive. I personally find the fake plants at the LFS ridiculously priced and they seem so simple to make. My question is can I make my own plants(the material ones not plastic) if I use the marine silicone and the fake material plants that you find at you local Flower and/or craft store? Because to me, they look like the exact same thing.
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. Making your own plants is really dangerous, the people who do make them are trained to do so. DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN PLANTS!!! Cool
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't know that it would make a difference... I know that using plastic plants sold for terrariums in an aquarium had no ill effects. As long as it was just plain plastic I think you could do it.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatwhite wrote:
no. Making your own plants is really dangerous, the people who do make them are trained to do so. DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN PLANTS!!! Cool

Why is it dangerous if aquarium safe materials are used?
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are chemicals in ALL glues that can kill fish. The people that make the plants throw away about half of their products because they're unsafe. Cool
Jonojames
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its true that you can't keep live plants with an undergravel filter, as this is just based around oxygen rich water circulating around the roots etc. I have kept live plants in an undergravel filtered tank, I had a mixture of java fern and moss and some annubias, but rather than plant them in the substrate, I had them panted on bogwood and rocks, which if arranged along the length of the tank, you may be able to keep some plants in pots behind them (they have their own planting media), this way hardy plants would still grow, but not be suffering in the substrate. It also makes them easy to move for maintenance or perhaps occasionally redecorating the tank. Good Luck, let us know if you decide to try this and I will email some good articles.
cheers
jono
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatwhite do you have a link to backup the claim that all glues are harmful when properly cured? also how do you think aquariums are made without silicone...glue wasnt even mentioned. Silicone is what holds your tanks together...
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatwhite wrote:
There are chemicals in ALL glues that can kill fish. The people that make the plants throw away about half of their products because they're unsafe. Cool

If he uses silicone, which is the same stuff that is on the INSIDE of the tank there shouldn't be issues, right?
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.28(Mon)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you will have to be VERY careful making it. Cool
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.28(Mon)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatwhite, I have no knowledge at all on this subject. However, it would be very helpful if you could elaborate or give a reason. When you say VERY CAREFUL, what do you mean? Careful not to do what? I just can't follow what you are trying to communicate here.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: