Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking for a 12 gallon Nano Cube
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.26(Sat)19:11    Post subject: Stocking for a 12 gallon Nano Cube Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the Nano Cube from JBJ, but I'm going to buy one for myself with my birthday money. I've wanted one for quite awhile, but never had the space or time, but ever since I broke down 4 of my 6 tanks I've been relatively free. Basically, the Nano Cube I'm interested in is 12 gallons, has a wet dry system built into the back (with skimmer capability), and has 72 watts of power compact lighting. I know I won't be able to get very much since it's small, but this is my rough draft of stocking ideas:

1 six line wrasse (to combat bristleworms)
1 mandarinfish (I wouldn't get one until my tank is ready for it)
1 shrimp goby (maybe Wheeler's shrimp goby)

1 peppermint shrimp (to combat aptasia)
1 pistol shrimp
1 emerald crab (eat bubble algae)
6 hermit crabs (blue leg or otherwise)
6 snails (turbo or otherwise)

I'd also like to get some (or a lot) of corals since there's enough lighting to support some soft ones. I like moon brains and star polyps, and xenia is always cool. I've never had a saltwater tank before but after working around saltwater fish and reef tanks for almost eight months I think I've had enough experience to give it a try.

Do you think my list sounds okay, or does it need a lot of revision? Any suggestions for corals or reef compatible fish for a 12 gallon? Anyone kept a Nano Cube before and have some first hand advice? I'd really appreciate anything you guys can tell me or any help you can offer. Thanks for reading!

Byez!! Very Happy

P.S. I'd be starting with live sand, live rock, and Fritz Turbo Start so I don't think getting saltwater bacteria will be a problem. I'm also buying some Bio Balls for the filtration system in the back that have been used in our reef and live rock tanks, so they'll help a bunch, too. How long do you think my cycle would take if I started with all of that?
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.26(Sat)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live rock and live are going to do the bulk of your filtration, definately get the protein skimmer. I would forget the wet/dry and bio-balls if your goal is corals, they don't like the nitrates that will be produced. (some shrooms like nitrates though) I would add the fish one at a time, and would skip the mandarin, you will not be able to provide enough pods for it to be healthy and happy. You may get lucky and find one that eats flakes, but that is extremely rare.

Starting with a lot of live sand and live rock, expect the cycle to be very short. I did this and cycled in two weeks, but I had a lot of live sand and fully cured and very live rock. It may take a month or more, be patient. Cool
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.26(Sat)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. OK heres how I would do your stocking list:

1 six line wrasse
1 small goby

2+ peppermint shrimp(like to be in groups)
1 emerald crab
2-6 small herbavors.

I scratched the hermits cause as far as I am concerened there homicidal and unless you provide lots of shells they'll go postal. then more peppermint shrimp there great little guys and are way better scavengers than hermits and there lots of fun. for the pistal shrimp you will want to look into their compatability with the other creatures. I doupt such a small aquarium would need that many turbos snails so just choose carefully. No mandarin fish never ever in such a small tank unless you manage to hook it up to a decent sized refugium.

for corals I like your choices. not sure about moon brain. star polyp and zenia are good. you might also want to look into mushroom corals and zoos and button polyps. checkout www.nano-reef.com they have lists of coral and fish compatable in nano aquaria.

andrew
2 winged demons
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, so how's this sound:

1 six line wrasse
1 sailfin blenny
1 asst. damselfish

2 hermit crabs
3 peppermint shrimp
3 snails
1 small sea cucumber

Does the moon brain send out sweeper tentacles at all? I've never seen the ones at work do it, but I know some brains do. So the star polyps and xenia are okay? Any other suggestions than mushrooms or button polyps? There's about 6 watts per gallon on this tank, so is there anything else coral-wise look nice that can be in that amount of lighting, but stay small and non-aggressive? Thanks for the help!

Byez!! Very Happy
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.27(Sun)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about the sea cucumber. I would say no damsels as the majority of them are highly aggresive and will stress out any other fish in such a small tank. other than those 2 it seems to be good.

OK corals. the moon brain coral probably extends its sweeper tenticles during the night. with xenia it grows fast and multiplys same with zoos. zoanthids and the same with mushrooms. not many corals "stay small". also with gsp grows fast and will sometimes spread onto glass. mushrooms, xenia and gsp are non agro. you can keep agro corals but keep them a fair distance from any other coral you don't want to have stung!

andrew
2 winged demons
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.28(Mon)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the help but nevermind giving me any more. I decided not to get the tank b/c (in the shortest, simplest, age appropriate way to say it) my boss is a @** $%*^#!& (&%^$ !*^%@. Arrrrrgh! I hate working for him and I'd rather have my eyeballs scewered and barbequed than to put any more money into his pocket. If I ever do want to start a saltwater tank I'll just use one of the ones I already have and give all my cash to someone else. Never work for a man with a cheap toupee, a bad mustache, and a really fake tan. Never!!

Byez!!! Mad
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: