Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
rusty algae and hermits...
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juice28
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.23(Wed)21:29    Post subject: rusty algae and hermits... Reply with quote

I've developed an excess of a rusty colored algae growing on well lit areas of rock over the last few days. My snails and hermits have been trying to keep it in check. Will cutting down to 10 hours of lighting a day help to control its growth? Also, I've got a total of 15 small hermits in there (each has a body length of 1cm). I was told that should be fine by my local provider, but I don't want to overdo my bioload. Is it OK to house that many in a 24 gallon tank?
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.23(Wed)23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are your lights on in the first place that you're planning to cut it down to 10 hours? I don't even leave my lights on for that long in my 75 gallon. I just leave them on for 8 or 9 hours. The amount of lighting in such a small aquarium could be a reason for the algae growing like this. That's all I could think of right now.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a normal algae or more of a slime? I

f its the slime you have an excess of nutrients.

What kind of water are you using? RO/DI, treated tap water, or from the fish store?

Best way to get rid of slime is to siphon it out and do a decent water change. Lower your feeding a bit too. It will keep coming back unless your using Good water. Tapwater has to many phosphates and nitrates already in it.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: