Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Petco & Petsmart Experience
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slangl6238
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)17:31    Post subject: Petco & Petsmart Experience Reply with quote

Hi, went to Petco today to buy some guppies and swordtails. Swords looked awful and some tanks had dead fish. I went to look at the guppirs and a few had white marks. Since there tanks are all connected via their filter system, I did not buy any. So I went to Petsmart and the first guppy I looked at had these white spots on her body. I told one of the employees that it looked like they had ich in their tanks and their reply was oh, really. They never came over to look and their attitude was like they did not care. I think that if they can't take care of there fish, then they should not sell them. Just wanted to share my experience.
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your feeling. But as Huntress has stated before, it is not in the interest of this message board to post comments about fish stores or big chains. I say this because Huntress stated in an earlier post that a known retailer had an aquarium message board closed down, due to negative comments about some of it's stores.

It's a bad situation I know, the best advice I can give you is to use your better judgement and not purchase fish from a particular store if you are not happy with the treatment or health of the fish. I know it totally sucks when you see fish ill like that, I've experienced the same situation, and I'm sure many others have. This topic has been discussed before on this board, it's as I said before, using your better judgement. The only other thing you can do is complain.
Slangl6238
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did not realize that. I will not do it again.
Fome
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy fish from stores like that, especially walmart. Even though their dwarf gouramis for 2$ are mighty tempting, the 6 inch oscar in a 5g tank and the countless dead, rotting fish are enough to dissuade me.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.21(Mon)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the issue is with bashing the store and not with the experience itself. You can write that you went5 to X store and had Y experience and it made you feel Z, but to go around saying that all ABC stores are aweful and don't shop there ever is not good.

Hope this clears things up. Moving thread to the lounge where there are many topics of this nature.. Smile
Cory
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one was to post proof I.e photos of the bad conditions then would one be allowed to name and shame the stores?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cory- While it isn't illegal to do so, I think you would be hard pressed to find any message board mods or site owners who would be willing to allow you to do that.

I think the case that huntress and everyone is speaking about needs some clarification. If you would like to read about the specifics, it is fairly easy to find info on it if you google the right words.

It is important to note, that in the case that everyone is speaking of, there was NO legal decision. Simply put, the folks in the defendant's seat were forced to settle the case because they could not afford the legal fees it would have required to see the case through to its end. The travesty of it was not that they were legally blocked from expressing their view points, the travesty is that a large corporation used its financial power to quelch opinions that did not flatter its business.

That is the real risk with conversations like these and one of the drawbacks of capitalism. A large company could easily sue you, me and Marcos and literally break us financially. Even if we still were actually well within our right to free speech. They could, in short, if they wanted to, take virtually any conversations they discovered here pertaining to them and use them to shut down the board in an indirect fashion.(requiring they met certain slight legal requirements.)

Ultimately, there really is no point in testing the boundaries of issues like this. Eventually, there will be a legal decission which maps this out, and hopefully there will be some sort of law created that will protect little folks like you and me from burdensome prosecution (sort of like the class action reform going on now, but in reverse).

In essence, it is, as Huntress said, okay to discuss your experiences but you may not bash a store. Unfortunately, it is a very, very fine line of demarkation that lies between the two. Saying I went to store X and saw algae infested tanks is okay, but if anyone were to respond to your thread by saying "yeah, store x really sucks. Don't go there" you run the risk of getting into hot water.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: