Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Barbeque anyone?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)17:20    Post subject: Barbeque anyone? Reply with quote

When you browse the web or read a book on fishies people always say get 2 small heaters instead of 1 big one. I have never paid too much attention to this until this morning. I got up to check on my new fish this morning to find him belly up on the sand, my cleaner shrimp curled up in the sand, a brain coral falling apart, several immobile crab and snail shells, the rest of my corals closed up, and I cannot find my peppermint shrimp or my purple serpent star. This really SUCKS! Evil or Very Mad My refusal to follow simple commen sense advice has cost me over 120 bucks and counting. I am hoping the other soft corals will pull through as well as the rest of my fish and inverts. I am lucky as I was going to do a water change today anyway and have water mixed already.

There is a lot of good advice out there make sure you take it. Because in this hobby Caveat Emptor is the rule. I will be getting two small heaters instead of a big one and will set up a quarantine tank for all new arrivals.
Ninety-Five degrees farenhiet is not a good temperature for a reef tank!
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.20(Sun)18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear that. I may suggest looking into titanium, the controlers are much better. If you cannot go that route, get good heaters. It is worth the money. I had one of those cheap Tetra-Whisper ones and it basically is good for nothing now but heating water for water changes...always on. lol
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.22(Tue)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, sorry to hear of your trouble, my friend. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all learn from these things; even experts have problems/losses from time to time. Yes, in theory two heaters are better in larger tanks, but if one of them sticks ON, having a second unit would have done little to save your livestock. You are wise to invest in QT, essential for your long term success.
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.23(Wed)9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a smaller heater sticks On then it would not be able to heat a larger tank to such a high temperature, or am I wrong?
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.23(Wed)19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what we are talking about exactly,
check with the manufacturer.
A difficult question really, depends on:
1. size of tank in question
2. wattage of heater in question
3. temp of water in tank before the glitch
4. circulation/turnover rate
5. location of heater
6. ambient temp in room, etc. etc.
In my experience, even a wimpy heater can produce a lot of heat.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: