Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond Fish getting eaten....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor 6 Gallon
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.10(Mon)22:02    Post subject: Pond Fish getting eaten.... Reply with quote

OK, me and my dad always have a 300 gallon pond with large waterfall set up in the middle of our japanese garden, but every time we put fish in it they get eaten by birds.. Is there anything we can do about this, or are there fish that birds won't eat, or is it just hopeless. I know my friend puts up a electric fence to keep out some animals, but I don't want our dog to run into it or anything... OK then, thanks.

"Do unto others.. then run!"
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.02.10(Mon)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a pod screen cover; most lfs sell them, and so would home improvement stores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sure it is only birds I would use the screen. Your fish may be a slower variety of goldfish too, so that can help them get "picked off" faster.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)16:56    Post subject: Places to hide Reply with quote

Your fish need places to hide.

Sink PVC pipe with smooth edges, use plastic milk crates to support plants like water lilies and parrots feather and clover that will trail across the surface, add some floating plants like anachris or water lettuce or duckweed or similar. Right now, get some styrofoam, like an ice chest lid and float that on the water to give them a secure place to rest.

The bright colorful fish that we love to see in ponds are easy pickings for herons and other such predators. Especially if they can be seen easily all the way to the bottom.

Give them a place to hide.

You can buy a thing called a Scarecrow that is a motion detector that will squirt water at intruders, but it is really expensive.
Doctor 6 Gallon
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys, we already have some plants in there, but it's mainly rocks and plants sorrounding the pond. It's about 1 foot deep for most of the area, but it gets a little deeper towards the back. I'll definentally be getting some more plants though, and I'll try a screen and see how that works.

Doctor 6 Gallon
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys, we already have some plants in there, but it's mainly rocks and plants sorrounding the pond. It's about 1 foot deep for most of the area, but it gets a little deeper towards the back. I'll definentally be getting some more plants though, and I'll try a screen and see how that works.

MyFishAu
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.12(Wed)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to use a screen cover, you can buy mesh that is green, it hides much better than the ordinary, unpainted steal, so you'll still enjoy the views of your fish without the screen standing out.

also, you could put the screen just below the water level to hide it even better.
a

PostPosted: 2003.02.14(Fri)20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a cat Wink
a

PostPosted: 2003.02.14(Fri)20:42    Post subject: solution: Reply with quote

get a cat Wink
EMO_kid
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.14(Fri)20:49    Post subject: Re: solution: Reply with quote

a wrote:
get a cat Wink

LOL, pretty funny. But have you actually seen herons and other birds that raid koi ponds? My cousin had almost her entire stock of 8-10" koi taken out by these huge birds. If I remember correctly, Steve Hampton on this board suffered heavy fish losses due to sea birds.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: